Old 28-09-2013, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looks to be a great year for mushrooms

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 27/09/2013 16:56, Emery Davis wrote:

All of the elements are there, rainy spring and hot summer, now good
weather with some rain.

We got about a kg of varied bolets last ramble, including cepes, tetes
bronzees, bolet jaunes. Saw some girolles but they were already too old!

Obligatory note: don't gather and eat mushrooms unless you know what your
doing!

Just found several mushrooms on the lawn. I /think/ they are boletus
chrysenteron (red cracking bolete). But it is interesting how different
photos appear to be in books or on the internet for what is supposed to
be a common and distinctive species which is "easy" to identify.

Don't even "experienced" collectors sometimes make mistakes? And they
will only make it once if they misidentify Amanita phalloides!

That is why there is a gradation of rules. There are some fairly
simple ones that will keep you away from the lethal species, with
VERY high probability. For example, there are no lethal boleti
in the UK,

Hmm, I'm not sure I would want to eat B.satanoides and certainly not
B.satanus (aka Satan's or Devil's Boletus!). The clue is in the names,
perhaps :-)

No, but there are simple, secondary rules to avoid those, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.