Old 29-09-2013, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Holly Leaves

On 28/09/2013 19:43, Jake wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:32:26 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

We have a holly tree in one corner of the garden, and
usually I do not bother with it. This year I need to
tidy up near it, and as there are a lot of dry, hard
and prickly leaves on the floor, I was wonderinging if
it would be worthwhile composting them.Probably stick
them in a plastic sack and store away in a corner for
a few years if it is worth it, if not they'll go on
the bonfire heap!

I've found that holly leaves take several years to break down and now
consign them to the local tip where, presumably, the hotter composting
process will achieve something.

Am I right in thinking that leaf mould isn't very nutritious anyway?
Probably improves soil structure though?