Old 29-09-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default GW viewing figures

In article ,
says...

On 2013-09-29 13:41:01 +0100, Jake said:

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 12:16:20 +0100, Sacha

According to BARB, the 13/9 programme drew 2.03m. I think PS means
that they fluctuate week by week and have been as low as 1.5m. IIRC,
the fluctuation is between 2.5 and 1.5m.

Whilst it's a fact that viewing figures have reduced since the death
of Geoff Hamilton, I doubt that presenter/format changes alone have
caused the reduction from the 4.5m figure. TV delivery has changed
substantially in the intervening period and viewing habits have
changed substantially as a result.

Exactly.

The group has discussed the whys and why nots of watching GW many
times. Whilst I fall into the nots group, I worry that PS's repeated
criticisms will lead not to improvement but to its demise; after all
programmes with figures higher than GW have been cancelled before now.

I think what he's hoping to get is what he considers to be better
presentation. Just recently in the trade press, there was a new
brouhaha about MD not having visited a garden centre in 11 years, which
is hardly helpful to the industry which, at least partially, causes him
to be employed.

Nonsense. He is employed by the BBC as a TV presenter; not, to tout
for business for garden centres and horticultural trades. The BBC is not
a commercial broadcaster, does not sell advertising time, so there is NO
sense in which any BBC presenter owes their employment to the
horticultural trade.

I can only assume that if he plants some new in his own
garden, one of his assistants is sent off to buy it.

Well that is hilarious, given how often you have loudly insisted that
your husbands nursery business is NOT to be confused with a garden
centre.

A garden the size of MD's calls for bulk buying and planting, and
nobody in their senses buys in dozens or scores at Garden Centre prices.
Instead,owners of large gardens buy stock direct from trade growers and
producers, which is more economical, better quality; and, they can
specify the size they want.

It's barely months, since Garden Centres were blaming MD for a slump
in their spring trade. Why? Because, during a cold spring he rightly
advised viewers not to rush to sow or plant tender stuff outside before
April.

Janet.