Old 29-09-2013, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looks to be a great year for mushrooms

On 29/09/13 11:49, Malcolm wrote:
I asked if you could post a URL for the "rules" for identifying edible and non-edible fungi, but you appear to have snipped it.
I'm sure such a URL would be welcomed by many here.

I'd be surprised if anyone knowledgeable would dare
publish such a list.

The problem is that all of the old wives tales fail
in some important cases. More modern rules are either
overly cautious, ambiguous, have the same limitation,
or all three.

There really is no substitute to knowing what's necessary
to differentiate species, then rigorously checking /all/
the characteristics against multiple references.

Having said that, have a look at the key at
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/