Old 29-09-2013, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looks to be a great year for mushrooms

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

... for some of the best of the edible fungi, such as blewits:-(

... unless you eat them raw

I didn't know that! I live and learn.

Most references with any culinary pretensions say "do
not eat raw". Certainly the last time I saw them for
sale in Waitrose(!) a couple of decades ago they had
an /extra/ sticky label to that effect.

Michael Jordan in "A Guide to Mushrooms" (one of the
more entertaining references w.r.t. the effects of
poisoning) claims it contains a haemolytic agent, but
you would have to eat a "large quantity" for it to
have any effect, and that it is inactivated on heating.

My books are mostly of the era when it was unthinkable to eat even
Psalliota, sorry, Agaricus bisporus raw :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.