Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Weather differences

On 03/10/2013 10:27, Sacha wrote:
Every month someone living locally publishes a weather report in the
Parish News. He contrasts the current year with the previous year.
August 2012 showed159mm. This August showed 31mm. The 8 year average
for August is 2.8" or 71mm. He also gives average wind speeds, highest
wind speed, mean tempeeratures and lowest temperatures, days with some
ray of0.2 or more and Solar output. Now that autumn is here he is adding
heating degree days as "a measure of heating effort to keep your house
at a constant temperature of 18.3C under the prevailing weather
conditions." I must say I admire the dedication that goes into
producing these figures for us every month.

You need the HDD figure to get any idea whether you're reducing your
power consumption, or whether it's just been milder than the previous
year. I plotted everything in a spreadsheet, but then I got bored...:-)