Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Talking of Amaryllis

On 04/10/2013 21:26, David Hill wrote:
Has anyone seen this offer?
http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/sear...type=Amaryllis
David

"Discard after flowering"! What a waste. Might be easier to burn a £20
note. :-)

Have you ever tried propagating Amaryllis? I've grown Amaryllis papilio
for years. They aren't self-fertile, so I've never succeeded in getting
any seeds. Last year, my wife was given a bouquet which included a pure
white amaryllis flower. I could see pollen on the stamens of the open
flowers, so thought I had nothing to lose by stroking it on the A.
papilio anthers. After a while I got 4 "viable" seeds which germinated.
One seedling was very weak and died quickly. One was completely
chlorotic, and soon followed the first. One was partly chlorotic, and
lived a little longer. The last is still growing, now nearly a year
old. I suppose that if I am lucky, it will flower in 5 years or so. Be
interesting to see what colour it is.

--

Jeff