Old 26-10-2013, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Milner John Milner is offline

Default Late Autumn flowering tree

On 25/10/13 11:53, yttiw wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a species of tree that
flowers from mid-October?

I doubt that it would be a native species, but my neighbour had one in
his garden for a short period. During late October it suddenly flowered,
and attracted Red Admiral butterflies in quantity on mild, sunny days.
As a butterfly enthusiast this was an unexpected bonus, that is until
one February day the following spring a man with a chain-saw arrived and
cut the entire tree down.

Had I have known this was planned, I could have asked to take a couple
of cuttings and tried to propogate them for my own garden. The neighbour
is not a gardener and therefore has no idea what species of tree it was,
and it was there when he moved in, so he did not plant it.

Sadly, I have no details except that it was about 12-15 ft tall by its
demise, and seemed to grow relatively slowly, plus it had dark-ish waxy
leaves.

A very inadequate description, I'm afraid, but can anyone provide any
clues?

It might be worth looking for any photos that you might have taken that
show the tree, even if it was in the background - it might show the
shape and trunk/branch structure at the very least. It's amazing how
often photos taken for one reason turn out to be useful for something else.

If you have such a photo, upload it to say Dropbox or another online
service and post the url here.

--
John Milner