Old 29-10-2013, 12:25 AM
kris anthem um kris anthem um is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jason View Post
Sometimes I see an interesting plant on the
roadside or poking through a neighbour's fence.

Is it possible to propagate any plant from a leaf
or small stem? What is the best growth hormone
to use? If I cut a sample from some desired
plant how do I transport this home, in wet cloth
or tissue?

Peter
No, but most will grow from 'tip cuttings', humidity is the key (make yourself a mini greenhouse with plastic bag and pot) try various sizes and lengths of new growth material and you should get a 50% success rate.
Very few will grow from the leaves themselves, and most that do, you do not want.(invasive).
Any rooting hormone will do, just do not smother your cutting in it.. a light dusting is fine.(honey has been used for centuries and is a cheaper option), ( beware of ants).
As for transport, anything that will keep your material cool and moist is great, even in a bucket of water.
If you at first fail, you could always ask the owners for some advice/plant material, they can only say no. cheers.