Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

"Sacha" wrote in message
I'm concerned for the future of this group which I've enjoyed hugely for
16 years. Some have been here longer than that. But given the number of
those who used to post and who lurk (I know of a few, not many now) the
response to the suggestion that we widen our horizons, look at a blog and
consider looking at others and discussing their content, were - forgive
the pun - seeds on stony ground. I don't know if this is because of
disinterest, complacence or a belief that urg will continue into the mists
of time. It won't. Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You have a point Sacha. C ouple of NGs that I have posted to have declined
dramatically or gone to the wall. As you say, Facebook has taken over quite
a lot, and although I have jined it I can't say I enjoy uing it.

Nick who posts on this NG must surely have noticed the decline in
correspondence in the Walking NG - it is largely subscribed to by technical
questions about gear. A Fishing NG has just about finished, not having had
a bite for a couple of years. An American NG - at least largely subscribed
to by Americans, has slipped out of sight into Facebook.

I have often said I'm no gardener compared to the contributors to URG, but I
can sometimes offer suggetsions (though not intellectual gardening stuff)
and enjoy receiving advice whenever I need some. The "old hands" are needed
as reference points for us gardening dumbos.

Bill