Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 23:18:50 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Jake" wrote (big Snip))

And there ARE good gardening blogs/web sites. Start with somewhere like
http://www.thinkingardens.co.uk where the discussion, surprisingly about
gardening topics, is active and interesting. Though probably you won't
like the layout or something.

But after many happy years of Usenet, URG is now the only group I
follow. And I too will ask myself the question "Is it worth it?" when
my annual Usenet provider account is due for renewal. The honest
answer is "Probably not."

I've just spent some while looking through that Forum and found it
everything about forums I don't like.

No, if Ngs fold then I'll just do more Sudoku in the evenings and garden
quietly on my own.

I've just looked at it and as far as I can see at first look it isn't a
forum at all.

It seems to be a site with links, plus contributed articles.
There is a section on garden reviews, but I don't spend my time visiting
gardens so that is largely wasted on me.
Others who do will no doubt find it a useful resource.

Certainly I can't find a register/login function.

So, please, where is the active and interesting discussion?

"Mission Statement

thinkinGardens seeks to explo

The contemporary aesthetics of gardens
Gardens as they relate to other arts, and garden makers as they relate to
other artists
The value of gardens to non-gardeners
The importance of gardens to society
The relationships between gardens and contemporary philosophy including
scientific philosophy"

So this is a very specific resource for publishing articles on gardens
with a leaning towards artistic and social comment, as opposed to a wide
ranging discussion on gardening topics(which generally involves topics and
multiple responses).

"Though probably you won't like the layout or something."

Well, this looks like a bit of prejudiced pre-loaded bias - seeming to
suggest that if we don't like it then it will be for some trivial or
unimportant reason.

I don't dislike it, per se.
It just isn't relevant to me.

What I do dislike is people patronising me because I don't agree with how
they think the world should be.

Regards

David