Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 07/11/2013 14:03, Janet wrote:
In article , am
says...

Somewhat ironically, the site that does offer a means for people to
participate and post is the Garden Banter site! Much bemoaned by some of
the URG regulars for "stealing" posts made on URG. Those of us who
remain in URG could simply move and relocate there?!

For what? Its format is as bad as google groups, far less user-
friendly than Usenet, and it's moderated.

Janet

I think the way forward would be to create and use a phpBB forum. The
only downside I can see is that while you can post images in your posts
they have to be published on photo sharing sites first and then linked
to within the users posts, but that is essentially what happens on URG
anyway.

I think the largest problem is that Usenet is becoming less and less
known to younger generations. Many think that the "Internet" is just web
pages. The added complication of needing a newsreader to access URG is
just another obstacle (not counting Google groups which I've never used
but I gather it has a lot of bad press regarding usability).

Another issue with creating a web based forum would be who would host it
and who would pay for the hosting? There are some free forum hosts which
would probably suffice for the small amount of traffic URG experiences
at the moment, but beyond a few dozen posters they become impractical or
restricted.

--
David in Normandy.