Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 07/11/2013 15:16, David in Normandy wrote:
On 07/11/2013 15:06, Sacha wrote:

Thanks, David but no thanks! While I see the point you're making, my
personal view is that urg should remain advertisement free, with the
exceptions of sig.files rules already in place.

The fundamental problem with advertisement free forums is they don't
have the finance to pay for the site or its bandwidth. This means either
asking members to pay a subscription fee and that is extremely unlikely
to succeed or to use free hosting, which may have limits on the
bandwidth anyway and include adverts by the host, over which the forum
operator would have little or no control.

There is no easy or palatable alternative to the Usenet based URG as far
as I can see and as most of us tend to agree, it is gradually slipping
into oblivion.

I'll just add that I've just had a look at GardenBanter and the layout
is awful. There is no threading. Posts are just dumped one after the
other in an ad-hoc manner making it impossible to follow individual sub
threads.

--
David in Normandy.