Old 28-11-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Gardening blogs

On 2013-11-28 08:57:59 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

I simply don't understand this response. I'm suggesting that urglers
might like to read some gardening blogs, by professionals and/or
amateurs. I am not suggesting they take to Twitter and Facebook which
seem to have got dragged into this discussion by means of endless
repetition of how awful they are, sometimes by people who have never
looked at them. Once more and with feeling: I am suggesting reading
gardening blogs. Or follow the blog of just one person. I am NOT
suggesting reading Twitter or Facebook as a substitute.

Yes true, you did, but your comments were the final straw that got me
interested in what Twitter was all about and I thank you for that.
Something I had been meaning to look at for a long time but after my
experience with Facebook was reticent to do. I have looked at many
Blogs and rarely find them interesting, too many seem written for the
writer not for the reader. A bit like some general gardening books I've
passed on to the charity shop.

My problem is I'm a hands on gardener, I learnt my gardening with muck
on my hands and an old gardener standing over me, so I usually find
writings about gardens trite and uninformative. It's why I tend to buy
(semi-scientific) books on specific species written by experts.

I take your point and indeed, there is a lot of dross out there but
there's also a lot of gold. For example, discussions on new plants, new
types of plants and garden design can be stimulating to new and older
gardeners alike.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com