Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Tiny Bugs from Potting Soil

On 12/4/2013 12:37 PM, mj wrote:
Why are they always there no matter what I buy and how do I get rid of them?

It takes time and money to pasteurize potting mix, so many producers
don't do it anymore. You can pasteurize it yourself if you have a
heatproof disposable pan and a hot plate, bbq grill, or other heat
source that can be used outdoors. You don't want to do this indoors
because it gets quite smelly.

Just dump the potting mix into the pan. You can get better control of
the soil temperature if you cover the pan with some aluminum foil. You
want to heat the soil to a minimum of 140 degrees F. to a maximum of
180 degrees F. Poke a thermometer through the aluminum foil into the
soil and monitor the temperature. After 30 minutes at the 140 - 180 F.
range, take it off the heat and let it cool. It is now pasteurized.
Bugs and eggs will be dead. This generally takes care of seeds (weeds)
as well.