Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Tiny Bugs from Potting Soil

On 12/4/2013 2:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Moe DeLoughan wrote:
mj wrote:

Why are they always there no matter what I buy and how do I get rid of them?

It takes time and money to pasteurize potting mix

Don't you mean sterilize?

No, I don't. Sterilized soil is dead. It's been heated to the point
where all the soil microorganisms have been killed off. The idea here
is just to heat it enough to kill off the less-hardy stuff, like bugs
and eggs.

Sterilized potting soil is readily
available and only a few pennies a pot more than unsterilized.
However still no guarantee a plant won't attract insects, so you'd
need to treat the plant... often misting with a mild soap solution
will delouse a potted plant.