Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Almost nothing grows here. Any advice?

On 07/12/2013 10:26, HerbyPeter wrote:

I live in Arkengarthdale at 1200+ feet. (google it )
It's windy. It's cold. I love it but plants don't.

I planted several Sea Buckthorn three years ago.
Three only still survive.

The only plant to live more than a year is Honeysuckle.
Except a hardy fuscia which lasted four years.

Ah! I tell a lie! Rosa 'Fru Dagmar Hastrup' (I think, I'm no flower
expert) has survived for as long as the honeysuckle.
I never can decide whether to dead head or leave the BIG hips for the
winter birds, (those that can survive).

I have made up some raised beds to try and combat the killing
conditions.
Yet to be proven since something decimated my brassicas before they had
a chance to grow.
Even the sage pants were eaten.
Leeks still survive but don't look as if they will make a meal. Ever.

I'm guessing even Gardener's World wouldn't rise to this challenge,

You could try seeking advice from Hartside Nursery (south of Alston) or
Inshriach Nursery (south of Aviemore), or look at what's grown in Tromso
or Reykjavik Botanic Gardens.

What you should do is grow plants adapted to the environment. Depending
on the substrate, one obvious possibility is heather (ling). Another is
the alpine willows.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley