Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Almost nothing grows here. Any advice?

In article , HerbyPeter.d18e8b7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I live in Arkengarthdale at 1200+ feet. (google it )
It's windy. It's cold. I love it but plants don't.

I planted several Sea Buckthorn three years ago.
Three only still survive.

That's no surprise; "sea" is a clue. They like sandy, sunny, salty.
You could hardly be further from the coast.

The only plant to live more than a year is Honeysuckle.
Except a hardy fuscia which lasted four years.

Your place must be considerably warmer than my previous high moorland
garden in Scotland then. "Hardy fuchsia", means in comparison to other
more tender fuschsias; it doesn't mean hardy enough for coldest climate.
Even "hardy" fuschsia is not a particularly hardy plant and will die in
many high cold inland gardens.

Ah! I tell a lie! Rosa 'Fru Dagmar Hastrup' (I think, I'm no flower
expert) has survived for as long as the honeysuckle.

There you go, If that survives, other plants can too.

I never can decide whether to dead head or leave the BIG hips for the
winter birds, (those that can survive).

I have made up some raised beds to try and combat the killing
conditions.

Which "killing conditions" do you think a raised bed will defeat ?

Annual rainfall, lowest winter temp, highest windspeed, depth of snow
would be useful to know. And which direction the garden faces.

All gardeners' plant choices are limited by location, soil and
climate. It's a matter of choosing the right plants for the conditions.
You need to provide more information about the conditions. (see above).

Janet.