Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Almost nothing grows here. Any advice?

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"HerbyPeter" wrote ...

I live in Arkengarthdale at 1200+ feet. (google it )
It's windy. It's cold. I love it but plants don't.

I planted several Sea Buckthorn three years ago.
Three only still survive.

The only plant to live more than a year is Honeysuckle.
Except a hardy fuscia which lasted four years.

Ah! I tell a lie! Rosa 'Fru Dagmar Hastrup' (I think, I'm no flower
expert) has survived for as long as the honeysuckle.
I never can decide whether to dead head or leave the BIG hips for the
winter birds, (those that can survive).

I have made up some raised beds to try and combat the killing
conditions.
Yet to be proven since something decimated my brassicas before they had
a chance to grow.
Even the sage pants were eaten.
Leeks still survive but don't look as if they will make a meal. Ever.

I'm guessing even Gardener's World wouldn't rise to this challenge,

Sounds like you need a wind break around your garden, have you room to
plant one?

Take a look at this which gives you ideas for what to use as windbreaks
and what to plant to cope with the wind.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=472
Yes I know you are not on the coast but you do have the strong winds
they do.

He'll have the problem that he needs a windbreak that can cope with the
cold as well as with high winds (but it doesn't need to be salt-tolerant).
I was wondering if juniper was suitable.

I would have thought Rowans would be OK especially the Sorbus aucuparia var
sibirica and var glabrata. Likewise Scots Pine should also cope and that
will provide a tall windbreak IDC. He could try Bristlecone Pines if he
could find any for sale but they are slow growing (at least mine is) also
Pinus mugo which is similar as it comes from mountains in central Europe as
apposed to N.America. Crataegus laevigata would be another candidate.
Lots on those lists are worth checking out for cold hardiness as they are
all wind tolerant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.