Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] is offline

Default Rain, rain and more rain

On 04/01/2014 22:31, Christina Websell wrote:
Here in Leics.
The problem is, that to get out of here down to the village is under a
railway bridge and it floods.

I'm having difficulty believing it, but according to the MetOffice I
only got about 75% of the average December rainfall here. (The weather's
been more windy than torrential, but I still would have thought that it
would have broken the average.) Interpolating between the contours
Leicestershire got about 85% of its (lower) average.

Spurn Head was the most unseasonably dry location, with less than a
third of the average monthly rainfall. The bits with over 200% of
average rainfall are a stretch of the southeast between Purkbeck and
Thanet, and a belt up the centre of the country from the Lake District
to Inverness and Ullapool (plus Applecross, and South Uist and Benbecula)

Over Christmas it was impassable for 5 days so I emailed my local
councillor. By the next day it was clear. Coincidence?
Anyway, it was up again today, and someone had lost their bumper in a
collision (probably deciding not to do it and reversing into a car behind)
So, I drove there (going to the library) and then left my car and walked the
rest of the way. I know the flood under the bridge looks innocuous, but
there is a horrible dip in the road under it and then your car is dead in
the water.

Us, up here know about the bridge, it looks like you can get your car
through, but you can't.
I have a wonderful pic of someone who tried. had to get out of his sunroof
and get the fire brigade.

On the way back from the library I removed the car debris from the road, as
the cars who were trying to get through the flood were just ignoring it and
running over it. To make it worse.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley