Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AnotherJohn AnotherJohn is offline

Default Rain, rain and more rain

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 14:16:42 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 12:48:06 +0000, AnotherJohn wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 12:06:26 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:24:24 +0000, Saxman
wrote:

On 04/01/2014 22:31, Christina Websell wrote:
Here in Leics.
The problem is, that to get out of here down to the village is under a
railway bridge and it floods.
Over Christmas it was impassable for 5 days so I emailed my local
councillor. By the next day it was clear. Coincidence?
Anyway, it was up again today, and someone had lost their bumper in a
collision (probably deciding not to do it and reversing into a car behind)
So, I drove there (going to the library) and then left my car and walked the
rest of the way. I know the flood under the bridge looks innocuous, but
there is a horrible dip in the road under it and then your car is dead in
the water.

Us, up here know about the bridge, it looks like you can get your car
through, but you can't.
I have a wonderful pic of someone who tried. had to get out of his sunroof
and get the fire brigade.

On the way back from the library I removed the car debris from the road, as
the cars who were trying to get through the flood were just ignoring it and
running over it. To make it worse.

I wonder how they are managing in Holland where there is more water? I
bet they're more efficient at clearing their dykes and drainage channels
than us.

The Dutch spend billions on flood defences. As a result they pay far more in
taxes than in UK.

Walking around our countryside all the ditches are full of debris from
the last winds and probably wont get cleared ever.

I remember the days of Roadmen and policemen who walked the beat.

In the Netherlands you have to build houses on a flood plain, because
that's all there is. In the UK it is voluntary, but the builders do it
just the same and blame the government when they get flooded.

because local government gave planning permission to build on a flood plain.

Developers frequently force through planning permissions against
council officers' expert advice, because cash-strapped councils cannot
afford the cost of fighting appeals.

That's
the British way!

Not all of the Netherlands is at or below sea level.

What sort of idiot buys a house located on a UK flood plain or within a mile of
a crumbling cliff?

Properties with a riverside frontage sell at a premium. Have a look at
house prices by the Thames.
Clifftop views are so attractive!