Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Question for songbird

wrote in message
Thanks! I was thinking that sulfur was being added with a purpose but your
opinion that it was just a byproduct from a filler makes much more sense.
And they probably see it to their benefit - you'll have to buy more lime
more often, hopefully their brand, to counteract the pH change from their
sulfur. The chlorine is probably a byproduct of their potassium/potash
treatment prior to mixing the fertilizer.

I guess these compounds have always been in fertilizers, but they used to
be listed as micro-nutrients, like .05%. When they started being listed in
8%-12% amounts, the same or higher as the NPK amounts, it really drew my
attention.

Sulfur is necessary. It is not just a byproduct that is put in the
fertlizer for filler.
http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publication.../AG-439-15.pdf

---