Old 19-02-2014, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JD[_8_] JD[_8_] is offline

Default Hoprse stable sweepings - contains weed seeds, typically?

Hi folks,

Theres a local horse stable that gives away sacks of so-called 'manure'
which is full of straw, so I guess it's what they shovel out of the stables
when they clean them out.

I have a lawn which was planted on very poor gritty, clayey soil. I'm
wondering if I can just spread a load of this stuff over the lawn, thinly
enough not to smother the grass, and mother nature will take it down
beneath the surface and enrich the soil a bit.... or will I get a load of
fresh weeds coming up from seeds contained in the 'manure'?

TIA for your input.

JakeD