Old 13-03-2014, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default A berry nice day !

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the go-to-girl at
the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with 14 strawberry plants .
Bare root suckers , most had some green , and obviously better quality than
the crap I tried last year from WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of
honor at the top of the garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees
, to leave space for other stuff .
On the orchard thing , I've tentatively selected the varieties we'll be
planting . All will be semi-dwarf , apples will be Red Del and probably
Granny Smith . Peaches will be Red Haven , pears Bartlett and maybe an Anjou
.. Cherries are going to be Bing and North Star . These varieties all do well
in this area , as long as they're properly cared for and get enough sunlight
.. I haven't timed it , but it looks like the area I've cleared will get full
sun from shortly after sunrise til almost sunset . As an added bonus , I've
saved most of the wild Muscadines that are in the now-cleared area . I
intend to trellis them on some 4' stock fencing so they won't interfere with
the trees . I'll be doing the same with some along the driveway ...
Even more icing on my cake , I'm signed up for the local adult education
facility class on beekeeping , it's being taught by the guy I'm getting my
bees/hive from . I'll be bringing home an up-and-running hive after the
class is finished . Life is sweet ...
--
Snag