Old 13-03-2014, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default A berry nice day !

Terry Coombs wrote:

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the go-to-girl at
the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with 14 strawberry plants .
Bare root suckers , most had some green , and obviously better quality than
the crap I tried last year from WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of
honor at the top of the garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees
, to leave space for other stuff .

what variety of strawberries are they?

for the most part they'll head towards
the light. i herd them using taller/leafier
beans/soybeans.

if you have ever bearing plants you may
want to also pick up some june bearing
plants (these fruit once, but it is a more
concentrated crop). mainly because they
also have a lot more runners and will fill
in an area more quickly than the ever
bearing plants. and if you don't have any
ever bearing plants, pick some up as then
you can have another harvest or two later
in the season. these have fewer runners
and take longer to fill in a space. still
well worth it. last year i was eating some
of the last crop right up until the frosts
came.

songbird