Old 13-03-2014, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default A berry nice day !

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

apples will be Red Del and probably Granny Smith

Those are pretty close to the last apples I'd choose to grow, but
whatever makes you happy. Thousands of varieties out there, those two
are in every grocery store all year round, and not really the tops for
flavor IMHO. Granny does store well, at least...

The variety is decided by The Wife . She buys RD , and that's what she
wants in the orchard . We're kinda limited in choices up here , it's a very
small market - 5,000 pop and we're isolated from nearly everywhere by windy
mountain roads . Nearest "big" city is Batesville , about 35 miles away .
The second choice is tentative , will be decided when I see what she gets in
.. My apple consumption is pretty much limited to pie and sauce . That may
change , depending on what we grow .
--
Snag