Old 14-03-2014, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default A berry nice day !

Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the
go-to-girl at the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with
14 strawberry plants . Bare root suckers , most had some green , and
obviously better quality than the crap I tried last year from
WallyWorld . They now reside in a place of honor at the top of the
garden - I'm hoping to guide them towards the trees , to leave space
for other stuff .

what variety of strawberries are they?

for the most part they'll head towards
the light. i herd them using taller/leafier
beans/soybeans.

Corn or pole beans should work then ... these are Fragaria "Ozark Beauty"
everbearing .

ah, ok, you won't have that many runners to
manage (as compared to the June bearing).

There's only the 2 of us , I'll probably just let these 14 do their thing
. No rush , I have the rest of my life . BTW , these are labelled as
GMO-free , which is a Good Thing AFAIC .

i don't think anyone has done GMO alterations on
strawberries yet.

anyways, you may find they don't spread fast enough
to offset losses if they are in a difficult location or
climate. a good mulch of shredded bark will help and
if it gets really hot and dry they'll need watering
and perhaps a bit of shade.

the first season recommendation is to remove the
flowers/fruits early in the season and through the
hot part of the summer and have the first crops in
the fall once things cool off a bit.

as i'm pretty far north, i left one fruit per plant
and only shaded them a little through the hot part of
the summer. they seemed to do just fine.

good luck.

songbird