Old 20-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Default Time to drop rec.ponds

Please bear with me if this is the wrong place to post this.

I'm hoping that whoever is responsible for GardenBanter.co.uk reads this. If so, please can you remove the link to rec.ponds. It was become a troll war zone with no useful posts and a great deal of insulting, offensive, and moronic rubbish.

I will not be using that forum again.

I think that it is likely that if you keep the link to rec.ponds that it will be damaging to the image of your site. Gardening, ponds, etc do not mix well with foul language and slanderous, off-topic accusations.

Billfish.
Old 22-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

I have been watching the situation deteriorate over the last few months at rec.ponds. It is particularly sad as it was a vibrant and friendly place to discuss ponding.

There have been many examples of newsgroups over-run by abusive trolls, sometimes the group don't survive, but often they can bounce back if the core of regulars haven't disappeared entirely.

As far as GardenBanter is concerned, it is something that bothers me. I believe in an unmoderated approach and the freedoms that Usenet posting provide, but with a 9/10 posts being abuse on this group currently I will ultimately have to drop rec.ponds if this situation continues.

However, I haven’t reached that point yet. I have applied a set of filters based on mail-to-news gateways and anonymous servers which I hope will see some improvement and I have removed the 2500 posts from the flood bot, although there are limits to what can be achieved by this if the posters are determined enough.

What you see now will make rec.ponds (via GardenBanter) a bit more readable and hopefully the situation improves over the next few weeks.
Old 22-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
[...]

Thanks for that Kevin. I'll go take a look now and see how it goes

Rate This Thread: