GardenBanter.co.uk

-   About GardenBanter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/)
-   -   Can anyone please help me to save my Acer? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/142877-can-anyone-please-help-me-save-my-acer.html)

trident 23-04-2006 10:58 AM

Can anyone please help me to save my Acer?

Hi,

Can anyone help? I have an Acer that has been living in my garden for at least 25 years. I’m very sorry to say that I think that it’s dying. The fine branches have turned white and very dry to the touch. When I cut the branches off, I find that they are brittle and they break and crumble very easy.

Now it is usual that this happens to a small amount of branches over the winter, but this year it has occurred to well over half the bush. Last summer like all other summers, it was thriving.

Towards the back end of the year, some chicken manure pellets was scattered on the soil near the Acer, but I’m not sure if this is responsible for its poor health.

I would be most grateful if anyone can tell me what the problem is and more importantly how to save my Acer. I’m sure many of you will understand when I say it’s like an old friend.

Best wishes
Stephen