Old 19-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Dorset
Default Hello From a new member

Hello, garden cadet here,

Just found this forum and decided to joon in, although i am an experienced user of gardening message boards and forums so not a complete newbie.

Some of you might recognise me from the Allotments4All forum (same screen name), if you are a fellow member please dont be backward in coming forward! I kind of came along here after A4ALL went down and needed somewhere to go!

For those who dont know me, I am a reasonably experienced gardener from Dorset, with a 100ft long sloping garden containing mixed herbaceous and shrub planting,large fruit and veg plot and a greenhouse, where i grow most of the plants for the garden. A recent addition to the garden has been a small pond, so am currently finding my way in that area too.

Please feel free to reply and ask questions.

PS Wasnt sure where to post this message so apologies if it is in the wrong place!
__________________
Gardening Forever!!
Old 20-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

Hello, and welcome to GardenBanter.

You found the right place to post.

It sounds like we have similar sized gardens, although I have not had a good gardening year due to mass disruption caused by builders (I am having an extension built this summer) and a hosepipe ban (I live in Middx). The upshot is the garden has had to fend for itself with almost no involvement from me, however some things have continued to thrive while others couldn't take the drought.

One of the more unique things about GardenBanter is that it is a mirror of the usenet gardening newsgroups. That means that posts made here are disrubuted to all the other mirrors (and there are lots of them) so everything has a wide audience. This tends to get good responses to questions or queries as it goes boeyond just the GardenBanter readership. This also means that many people will not have heard of GardenBanter, but will still be reading or replying to your message! As people will be reading this in different ways (e.g. through a newsreader rather than a website forum) you are forced to 'quote' the message you are replying to (but feel free to snip this). This is because not everyone will be reading it in a linear style (first message to last message) as you do in GardenBanter, so you always need some context to your replies.

I have thought about adding a pond, and read regularly the pond forums here, but so far I have resisted the temptation. I am afraid of 1) Getting addicted and 2) It becoming high maintainance. Maybe next year...

I did used to lurk occasionally at A4ALL, but I had not visited in quite a while. What happened to it?
Old 20-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
Hello, and welcome to GardenBanter.

As people will be reading this in different ways (e.g. through a newsreader rather than a website forum) you are forced to 'quote' the message you are replying to (but feel free to snip this). This is because not everyone will be reading it in a linear style (first message to last message) as you do in GardenBanter, so you always need some context to your replies.

I did used to lurk occasionally at A4ALL, but I had not visited in quite a while. What happened to it?
Hello Kevin, thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your advice on how to post. Yes i am far more used to posting on 'linear' forums as you call them so will have to get used to quoting when replying. As you can see i have started with this reply.

Goodness knows what happened to A4All. it was a good site and i hope it comes back (dont worry i will keep visiting GB as well!). My only hope is that if it doesnt come back, that some of the regular members there will find their way here, since i found them a great bunch of people. A statement i soon hope to be able to make about garden banter!

Regards
Gardening Forever!!

Rate This Thread:

Hello from a new tree fern mad member! Jon S Gardening 1 10-12-2010 06:40 PM
New Member Saying Hello Gill Osborne United Kingdom 6 17-10-2003 11:22 AM
New Member Starlord Gardening 0 11-02-2003 05:25 AM
[IBC] New member - Question on junipers Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
New member - Question on junipers Allen Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 08:25 PM