Old 29-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Question help just got an allotment

help!!!! me and my 9yr old son have just got an allotment it was covered in brambles and not been used for a couple of years i removed the long grass and brambles with a digger down to ground level {i use them for work} iam thinking of using round up on the new shoots that are growing rapidly then having some manure delivered a week or so later then getting it ploughed and rotivated in the begining of december there is somebody on site who does the later for a small cost ..IS THIS A GOOD IDEA??? I want to get it looking usable as quick as poss to keep my sons interest . PLEASE HELP. ITS ALSO MY FIRST TIME AT ANY THING LIKE THIS
Old 19-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered User

Location: London

Roundup is very thorough indeed and will go into the soil and basically poison it. The alternative is digging down to remove the roots. I fear that your son's desire for interest and the long term needs of your garden are not compatible. Often one has to 'show them who is master' i.e. one atack, then return later to dig up the new growth. You could try contact weedkiller but this works mainly with broader leaves and not on thin grass.

QUOTE=dave n cally;757011]help!!!! me and my 9yr old son have just got an allotment it was covered in brambles and not been used for a couple of years i removed the long grass and brambles with a digger down to ground level {i use them for work} iam thinking of using round up on the new shoots that are growing rapidly then having some manure delivered a week or so later then getting it ploughed and rotivated in the begining of december there is somebody on site who does the later for a small cost ..IS THIS A GOOD IDEA??? I want to get it looking usable as quick as poss to keep my sons interest . PLEASE HELP. ITS ALSO MY FIRST TIME AT ANY THING LIKE THIS[/quote]

Rate This Thread: