GardenBanter.co.uk

-   About GardenBanter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/)
-   -   Alkaline soil. Good for veg (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/170730-alkaline-soil-good-veg.html)

SPDUNK 31-01-2008 12:39 PM

Alkaline soil. Good for veg

Being new to vegatable growing more often than not questions arise that cannot be found in books. One being that my soil is alkaline (reading 9ph) Would it be wise to lower the ph with sulphate of ammonia or will I still get a good crop.
Veg being grown. Onions, Garlic, Cabbage, Carrots, Broccoli, Lettuce, Tomato, Parsnip, cucumber and Potato. All of which are in raised bed apart from cucumbers which will be grown in pots.

Advice welcomed. Steve.

SPDUNK 04-02-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDUNK (Post 772559)
Being new to vegatable growing more often than not questions arise that cannot be found in books. One being that my soil is alkaline (reading 9ph) Would it be wise to lower the ph with sulphate of ammonia or will I still get a good crop.
Veg being grown. Onions, Garlic, Cabbage, Carrots, Broccoli, Lettuce, Tomato, Parsnip, cucumber and Potato. All of which are in raised bed apart from cucumbers which will be grown in pots.

Advice welcomed. Steve.

4th Feb 2008
Thanks everyone for your responce. you were a great help.....JOKE!!! Found the info i need so....if any one was going to reply give your fingers a rest...no need.