GardenBanter.co.uk

-   About GardenBanter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/)
-   -   Neglected and heavily overgrown garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/about-gardenbanter/177154-neglected-heavily-overgrown-garden.html)

John Sankus 23-07-2008 03:39 PM

Neglected and heavily overgrown garden

Hi guys.
Moving into a property in a week or two.
Area is quarter-circle shaped, about 40 yeards along the longest straight edge.
Garden is neglected and heavily overgrown. It is mainly grass, although there is one patch of nettles just behind the house.
The problem is that the grass seems tussocky (don't if there's a proper name for that...) and is in clumps all around.
I was thinking of hiring a flail mower for a day to get it all down to a manageable size - I've never used one before, but the description of what they do seems to suit my situation. There is no way a normal lawnmower could deal with this jungle.
Have any of you any tips or advice for this rank amateur?
Thanks in advance,
John

John Sankus 01-08-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sankus (Post 805714)
Hi guys.
Moving into a property in a week or two.
Area is quarter-circle shaped, about 40 yeards along the longest straight edge.
Garden is neglected and heavily overgrown. It is mainly grass, although there is one patch of nettles just behind the house.
The problem is that the grass seems tussocky (don't if there's a proper name for that...) and is in clumps all around.
I was thinking of hiring a flail mower for a day to get it all down to a manageable size - I've never used one before, but the description of what they do seems to suit my situation. There is no way a normal lawnmower could deal with this jungle.
Have any of you any tips or advice for this rank amateur?
Thanks in advance,
John

Okay guys - let's try an easier question.
Is there a forum I can subscribe to where someone will actually help?