Old 05-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Larry Harrell

Default New Juniper Field Data Recorders-help?

We're finally going to phase out our old CMT DOS-based FDRs. (I always
found it to be very funny hooking up those to our new Pentium laptops
g ) However, we got 4 of these new Juniper units in and I get to use
them first. I would appreciate any opinions, tips or tricks that
people have for setting them up, using these in the field and
manipulating the data. I will be entering data and UTM coordinates
during another goshawk survey in Wyoming. Basically, we've eliminated
the paper forms...not the best use for a fancy Win CE handheld
computer, eh?

Thanks

Larry
Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Mike H

Larry Harrell wrote:
We're finally going to phase out our old CMT DOS-based FDRs. (I always
found it to be very funny hooking up those to our new Pentium laptops
g ) However, we got 4 of these new Juniper units in and I get to use
them first. I would appreciate any opinions, tips or tricks that
people have for setting them up, using these in the field and
manipulating the data. I will be entering data and UTM coordinates
during another goshawk survey in Wyoming. Basically, we've eliminated
the paper forms...not the best use for a fancy Win CE handheld
computer, eh?

Thanks

Larry

Did you get the full Win CE Allegro? Great gadget- the heater really
helps in winter and the buttons are big enough for gloves. Check out
microsoft.public.pocketpc for the ins and outs of the OS. It's a fairly
complex system, especially dealing with the "Activesynch" portion. Once
you get the proper sharing folders set up, transferring info to the desk
computer is automatic. Just remember that your blank data sheets have to
have a different name than your "full" data sheets or you'll lose one or
the other when transferring. Simple stuff really but when systems do
things on full automatic, mistakes happen.

I've had two of the DOS/WinCE combo Allegros (still have one) and they
were good field machines. Unfortunately, that model is already out of
date. Next datalogger I get I'd like to be about 1/2 the size with
twice the battery life.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Joe Zorzin

I've never been rich enough to use these fancy data recorders. But, what I'd
like to know is just how effective they are regarding efficiency? Rather
than entering data into a such a tool, I'd rather speak into a tape recorder
because I think it would be faster. I'm sure it must take more time to enter
data than just talking to your tape recorder. At least here in the
Northeast- we have so much lousy weather that good field time is in short
supply, so I always want to be as efficient as possible in the field. I
always have plenty of office time available to do such data entry.
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

Old 07-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Larry Harrell

Mike H wrote in message ...
It's not a matter of being rich - it's a necessity when you have to do a
lot of inventory and when you have to use a formalized cruise or
inventory program. For instance, here industry all uses the same
proprietary program and the FS uses its own unique programs - just
tweaked for each Region. When there's a front end for it, it error
checks as you go. These things can easily pay for themselves in a year.

It's not really a matter of paying for themselves but to "standardize"
data collection (especially stand exam and cruise data)and to bring us
into the new millenium, kicking and scratching all the way. It's not
really a very new idea to take mini-computers into the woods. I
remember using an HP palmtop computer set up by a 3P guru. It was
pretty slick, adjusting volumes for each marker separately.

Of course, if you do a well rounded mix of forestry work - as most
sane consultants choose to do, having one is a bit of a luxury.

I bet just holding one will make me look more important G.

The best thing about the new handhelds is that since they have a trimmed
version of Excel onboard, you're no longer tied to proprietary cruise
programs. Considering the price those go for, I expect there to soon be
some serious free or shareware competition with the big consulting
agencies. Also - since the big slowdown, maybe selling forestry
software is better than selling forestry... ;(

Now, the USFS will be tied to certain official spreadsheets with
"tweaked" volume tables instead. With outsourcing on the horizon, the
field looks wide open (hint, hint). Maybe not, though. We do have some
Excel wizards who could easily build us what the policymakers want us
to have (not necessarily what we need, though).

I've never been rich enough to use these fancy data recorders. But, what I'd
like to know is just how effective they are regarding efficiency? Rather
than entering data into a such a tool, I'd rather speak into a tape recorder
because I think it would be faster. I'm sure it must take more time to enter
data than just talking to your tape recorder. At least here in the
Northeast- we have so much lousy weather that good field time is in short
supply, so I always want to be as efficient as possible in the field. I
always have plenty of office time available to do such data entry.
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

In our western forests, thinning projects generate plenty of data for
all those small marked trees. The Head Honchos and bean counters have
put a lot of emphasis on getting accurate measurements of trees that
are worth about $2.89. Sure, cruiser certification is fine and dandy
but, where is the "silvicultural certification" (which insures that
they are marking the "right" trees) for timbermarkers?

As soon as voice recognition systems are refined, that'll be perfect
for ya, Joe. I can see the future of forestry now. Heads-Up-Display
from your hardhat. Armed with lasers and mini computers. Real-time
satellite imaging. I guess that future isn't really very far off, eh?

Larry
Old 07-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Larry Harrell

Mike H wrote in message ...
Did you get the full Win CE Allegro? Great gadget- the heater really
helps in winter and the buttons are big enough for gloves. Check out
microsoft.public.pocketpc for the ins and outs of the OS. It's a fairly
complex system, especially dealing with the "Activesynch" portion. Once
you get the proper sharing folders set up, transferring info to the desk
computer is automatic. Just remember that your blank data sheets have to
have a different name than your "full" data sheets or you'll lose one or
the other when transferring. Simple stuff really but when systems do
things on full automatic, mistakes happen.

I've had two of the DOS/WinCE combo Allegros (still have one) and they
were good field machines. Unfortunately, that model is already out of
date. Next datalogger I get I'd like to be about 1/2 the size with
twice the battery life.

Yeppers! Brand spanking new. Thanks for the info and I will make sure
to back up my files. I've also seen that you can attach a GPS receiver
in the PC card slot in the back. Anyone have any experience with that
setup?

I don't think we'd want to invest in that kind of thing, especially
since we just received a shipment of $64,000 worth of GPS hardware and
software.

Larry

Old 07-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Joe Zorzin

What I really want in the woods is a ROBOT- which can carry my lunch and
basically do all the work. I'll just supervise. G And, if I get really
tired, it will carry me out. These robots won't look like Startreck
androids- they'll dress up in flannel shirts and blue jeans. There will be
male and female robots. You know, like in that movie by Robin Williams- I
forgot the name. Since I won't have to do any serious work, I can just focus
on enjoying myself out there- grooving on all the good vibes out there. G
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

"Larry Harrell" wrote in message