Old 17-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Michael Hagen

Default Fungi as additional tree crops

In article , foresterSPAM-
says...

"Daniel B. Wheeler" wrote in message
om...
While purchasing maitake (Grifola frondosa) today at a local farmer's
market, I also saw some nice Cantharellus formosus, aka Western
chanterelle. Since I haven't found many of these, I asked the guy
running the operation where they came from, and found out a farmer was
irrigating a field nearby, and was also irrigating some of the trees
on his property. The chanterelles were fruiting in response to this
irrigation. While I kind of wonder if the chanterelle production is
paying him for his irrigation costs, it is an interesting concept.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Daniel, you should publish a book, "Cooking with Mushrooms". Do you have any
recipes? Be sure to distinguish those that might cause psychedelic effects,
as we don't want any of that! After all, we're all redneck woodsmen. G

JZ

Ha - we can always count on Joe. Since we have to present ourselves as
level headed and conservative to our clients, the counterculture roots
have to be disguised... I blame the tree paint fumes.

Our early october rainfall is long gone here in the extreme NW. We've
actually got a forest fire burning on the coast. Nearly unbelievable.
If it gets into old cedar salvage it'll burn till snowfall.
The shrooms we did get are dried up. When we get a great Indian Summer
like this, sometimes we lose the whole chanterelle season.
Old 17-10-2002, 05:26 PM
Daniel B. Wheeler

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
[...]

Maybe somewhere down the line there will be a cookbook, Joseph.

As fir the later point, if you go to the Oregon Mycological Society's
52 Annual Fall Mushroom Show, you can look at the variety and maybe
even some of the potential crops your forested land is also likely
producing. You can decide for yourself whether you have other
economically important fungi.G

While I don't think there will be any Oregon White or Oregon Black
truffles on display (I hope I'm wrong), I'm working on having some
other fungi which are commercially important present: Grifola
frondosa, Lentinula edodes, Ganoderma tsugae, Cantharellus formosus,
Laetiporus sulphureus, Hypomyces lactifluorum, etc. Of especial
interest to foresters is which ones are symbiotic, parasitic, or
saprophytic. For example, the saprophytic Lentinula edodes is a good
choice for reducing 2-12" diameter debris into an additional forest
product.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Tomorrow we will cover more dogs approximately 19 additional water loving breeds! Lil ole me Ponds 0 17-02-2005 03:31 AM
Additional info from poster Me Roses 2 14-05-2003 12:20 AM
Sign petition to USDA to protect crops from being fertilized by pollen from GMO pharm. crops CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 4 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
Seed starting in sunny window: additional light required Tim B Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:06 PM
Biosociopathic Injury: Pesticides blamed in decline of 3 additional frog species Alastair McDonald alt.forestry 1 25-11-2002 03:06 AM