Old 06-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

Default Truffles and James Beard and Psilocybe mushrooms: Oh my!

From The Oregonian, Nov. 7, 1977

Both Truffles, law elusive in Northwest

By LORRAINE RUFF, Correspondent, The Oregonian
ALBANY - Swine food. Some of the best eating around. That's truffles.
Not just the imported European kind, such as the Italian White
truffle which often sells for $300 a pound, but also the variety that
grows readily from the San Francisco Bay area north to British
Columbia, and from the Cascades to the Coastal Range.
But how does one find the elusive truffle? Well, one could follow the
practice developed decades ago in Europe, where man and pig went
snorting through the fields and forests together. The mature
subterranean trufle gives off odors reminiscent of fruity wine,
onions, garlic, and even sewer gas. The idea was to blend the pig's
sense of smell with the man's ability to weild a truffle fork.
But pigs are terribly fond of truffles, too, and often the goodies
were gobbled up by a swine with a habit before the horror-stricken
truffle collector could do his share.
Trained hounds are used in Europe now, according to James Trappe, a
professor of botany and plant pathology at Oregon State University who
participated during the weekend in a symposium on mushrooms at
Linn-Benton Community College. It's easier on the sensitibilities of
the truffle lover.
For those without a pig or dog, he said, truffles often can be
detected by the little humps of ground that are pushed up as the
truffle grows.
"Sometimes rain washes some of the soil aside," Trappe said, "and the
fleshy white truffle is exposed."
Truffles in this part of the world grow in close association with
Douglas fir trees and although there are very few identification aides
on the market, there are no toxic truffles in North America, said
Trappe.
Also participating in the symposium was Richard Triska, an Albany
criminal lawyer who explored the legality of mushroom experimentation
regarding the psychoactie varieties, such as psilocybin.
Triska said that there are all kinds of state and federal laws
affecting the possession and use of psychoactive drugs.
"But I'll give you odds that not one of those legislators knew that
some of the substances they were outlawing grew readily on their front
lawns," he said.
Next July 1, Oregon will adopt the Federal Uniform Control Substances
Act. At this time, it follows the Uniform Narcotics Act, which has the
psychoactive mushroom psilocybin on its list of prohibited substances.
Thast law, however, is founded on the Interstate Commerce Act, which
says you can't transport a controlled substance across state lines,
"which means that if you have psilocybin mushrooms in your field, what
right does the government have stepping in as long as you odn't
transport those mushrooms," said Triska.
Under the new law, a farmer who has psilocybin in his field
technically would be in violation of the law unless he could prove
that he had no knowledge of its presence, Triska said.
However, Triska said he can't envision law enforcement personnel
running through the fields looking for the magic mushroom and charging
farmers with possession.
"To date there have been no such cases," he said. "Besides, there's a
problem with identification," he said.
"Well, law enforcement officers might become involved with
intoxicatied individuals who do have the psychoactive mushroom in
their possession," said Triska. "But again it comes down to
identification. Is there probable cause for an arrest if the person
appears intoxicated and happens to have a bag of mushrooms in his
possession?"
Triska, who is on the advisory board of the state crime lab, said
he'll be visiting the state lab next week to find out if it has the
necessary materials with which to assay for psilocybin.
"I didn't see any law enforcement officiers at this conference," he
said, although the conference was open to them. "And I don't think
psychoactive mushroom identification figures into the training at the
state police academy, at least not as yet."
The conference concludes Monday with a field trip to a commercial
mushroom farm in Salem, a collection excursion and a visit to the USDA
Forest Regeneration Laboratory in Corvallis.
Mushroom cooking demonstrations by James Beard, interantionally known
culinary expert and author, will be given during the morning session
at Linn-Benton Community College.

Comment by poster: Evidently the first time James Beard became
acquainted with truffles was at this conference. Later, Dr. Trappe
sent him a sample of truffles, which he pronounced very good. Isn't it
odd how a fabled fungus, first found in 1876 in California, eventually
finds its way into the public eye? Another interesting aside: note the
prices for truffles in 1977: "$300 a pound" for Italian White truffles
(Tuber magnatum). I just got done sampling my first Italian White
truffles at $70...an ounce!

Posted as a courtesy by
Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
Old 07-11-2002, 11:33 AM
Joe Zorzin

POSTED IN alt.forestry

[...]

It should be part of forestry education- all forestry students should have
to eat psilocybin, while listening to classic idiot right wing forestry
professors rant against preservationists. Better yet, forestry students
should secretly stuff some into the professor's sandwiches while out on a
field trip. Then watch the fun as everyone starts talking to the trees. G

Old 08-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Scott Murphy

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
POSTED IN alt.forestry

It should be part of forestry education- all forestry students should have
to eat psilocybin, while listening to classic idiot right wing forestry
professors rant against preservationists. Better yet, forestry students
should secretly stuff some into the professor's sandwiches while out on a
field trip. Then watch the fun as everyone starts talking to the trees. G

You're funny Joe. G When will you finally admit it? It's simply
Newton and his laws of motion... for every action, there is an equal
and opposite reaction. If you don't cut here, you've got to cut
there. Within my faculty I'm about the most
preservationist/ecologically leaning student. It might surprise you
to know that the majority of forestry students at my school probably
think this way. I can say that for my graduating class for sure. I
just think that one should be careful about pretending you're getting
results when maybe, just maybe, you're not. You've got to clean out
your brain and get away from this left-wing, right-wing stuff... it
clouds your thinking. g

Scott
Old 08-11-2002, 05:13 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
POSTED IN alt.forestry

[snip]

It should be part of forestry education- all forestry students should have
to eat psilocybin, while listening to classic idiot right wing forestry
professors rant against preservationists. Better yet, forestry students
should secretly stuff some into the professor's sandwiches while out on a
field trip. Then watch the fun as everyone starts talking to the trees. G

So...you talking from first-hand experience, Joe? G

Old 08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Jeremiah

It amazes me to this day that our ignorant government feels it has the
right to illegalise living organasms such as Psilocybe mushrooms.
Wonder if they are going to start picking all the Psilocybes they can
find and burn them with Gasoline, Don't tell them about the mycelium.
The DEA's complete stupidity never ceases to surprise me.
jer

Old 09-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Joe Zorzin

"Scott Murphy" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

POSTED IN alt.forestry

It should be part of forestry education- all forestry students should

have
to eat psilocybin, while listening to classic idiot right wing forestry
professors rant against preservationists. Better yet, forestry students
should secretly stuff some into the professor's sandwiches while out on

field trip. Then watch the fun as everyone starts talking to the trees.

You're funny Joe. G When will you finally admit it?

OK, OK, I'm guilty of that. G

It's simply
Newton and his laws of motion... for every action, there is an equal
and opposite reaction. If you don't cut here, you've got to cut
there.

But, much of the cutting HERE is so poorly done, that long term productivity
is a fraction of what it could be- thus, your Newtonian example is
irrelevant. If BETTER forestry were practiced all over America, productivity
would soar. It's not an either-or situation, which is a perspective for
simpletons who can only see in black and white, like the forestry
establishment.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Joe Zorzin

"Daniel B. Wheeler" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

POSTED IN alt.forestry

[snip]

It should be part of forestry education- all forestry students should

have
to eat psilocybin, while listening to classic idiot right wing forestry
professors rant against preservationists. Better yet, forestry students
should secretly stuff some into the professor's sandwiches while out on

field trip. Then watch the fun as everyone starts talking to the trees.

So...you talking from first-hand experience, Joe? G

Oh, back in my youth. G Actually, I never talked to trees, like a certain
other internet active forestry consultant from my part of the Bush Empire.
G But, I do recall seeing trees waving around as if a strong wind was
blowing, on a windless day- like they were dancing. And, one day, during the
peak of the fall foliage leaf drop- I sat in the forest and watched
gazillions of multi colored leaves dropping all around me while making
strange musical like noises. That's when I decided I didn't want to be an
accountant. G

Old 09-11-2002, 04:07 PM
mhagen

Joe Zorzin wrote:
"Daniel B. Wheeler" wrote in message
om...

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

POSTED IN alt.forestry

[snip]

[...]

yep, been there. it's what makes this biz worthwhile. I recall a
transcendant experience while traversing a steep rock face in a late
fall windstorm - rather like today. Ravens were flying up the chutes in
an updraft, spinning, upside down, cackling and having a great time.
They knew I was there ten feet to the side sitting on a boulder and
laughing back at them. The kept coming back like kids on a carnival
ride. We wasted a lot of the government's time that day.

Cross posting to alt.nature.mushrooms eh - who know's who you'll let
into the woodworks.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Scott Murphy

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
"Scott Murphy" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

POSTED IN alt.forestry

[...]

Agreed. Better forestry would definitely improve the situation, but I
don't think it would fix everything. Newtonianism is not irrelevant
g... some practices are just not mutually inclusive; you can't
always have your cake and eat it too, but I know you like cake Joe
g. Your friends at Harvard are probably being extremely naive and
have likely already calculated improved forestry and improved
productivity into the equation, thinking that since they wrote about
it twenty years ago, then everyone must be practising it. G

They are just offering up a little slice of Caveat Emptor... let the
buyer beware.

Nothing wrong with being a little suspicious... based on what I've
seen in your postings, I would suspect that you also subscribe to the
precautionary principle. Precaution doesn't have to be a left-wing,
right-wing thing... it works both ways.

Scott
Old 10-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

(Scott Murphy) wrote in message . com...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
"Scott Murphy" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

POSTED IN alt.forestry

[...]

One of the things that would dramatically increase forest productivity
and growth is inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi. Since these fungi
are not generally introduced in forestry, it is something that private
foresters must look into themselves.

Why are mycorrhizal fungi important? The gather water for their host
trees. The are associated with nitrogen-fixing bacteria. They can be a
seperate crop in their own right (truffles, Boletus, matsutake,
chanterelles, pigs ears, Dentinum repandum, etc.). According to Dr.
James Trappe of Oregon State University, they *appear* to act as
fungal prophylactics against root rots. They may increase the lifespan
of trees.

And yet...with a very few notable exceptions, mycorrhizal fungi are
not considered in forestry.

Case in point: The 500,000+ acres Biscuit fire of southern Oregon.
Perhaps the fastest method of regenerating this forest would be to
inoculate Rhizopogons with Lodgepole pine and Douglas fir seedlings,
then disperse them via helicopter. By the time the seeds would begin
to germinate the mycorrhizal fungi are already established, and a
greater liklihood of seedling survival is reached.

How expensive would that be? Believe it or not, a single average sized
Rhizopogon is capable of inoculating a million seedling trees via a
simple slurry just before outplanting, or probably several million
seeds before aerial drop.

Will it be done? Probably not. How many people realize that these
fungi increase tree survival and growth rates?

Old 10-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Larry Harrell

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...

But, much of the cutting HERE is so poorly done, that long term productivity
is a fraction of what it could be- thus, your Newtonian example is
irrelevant. If BETTER forestry were practiced all over America, productivity
would soar. It's not an either-or situation, which is a perspective for
simpletons who can only see in black and white, like the forestry
establishment.

It would be a great project to do a Woody Allen kind of thing like
"What's Up, Tiger Lily" where you take the Star Wars movie on the
forested planet and re-do all the dialogue to make it a fight between
the Imperial Forestry Establishment and the pack of rebel foresters
(and techs). The Ewoks could symbolize the "preservationists". Darth
Vader is, of course, the head of the SAF!

Larry
Old 10-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Scott Murphy

(Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message

One of the things that would dramatically increase forest productivity
and growth is inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi. Since these fungi
are not generally introduced in forestry, it is something that private
foresters must look into themselves.

Why are mycorrhizal fungi important? The gather water for their host
trees. The are associated with nitrogen-fixing bacteria. They can be a
seperate crop in their own right (truffles, Boletus, matsutake,
chanterelles, pigs ears, Dentinum repandum, etc.). According to Dr.
James Trappe of Oregon State University, they *appear* to act as
fungal prophylactics against root rots. They may increase the lifespan
of trees.

And yet...with a very few notable exceptions, mycorrhizal fungi are
not considered in forestry.

Good point! I like "outside the box" forestry, especially when you
start to see it become "inside the box". Refresh my memory, because
its been awhile since my fungi and disease course, but I recall
studying certain mycorrhizal fungi that acted as a go-between for
different tree species that are often associated with each other. I
think we were looking at white pine and birch; and we were tracing
radioactive isotopes through the mycorrhizal network between trees of
those two species. Kind of enforced the idea of managing for
ecological communities, not strictly stand (tree) types.

As for your prophylactics, I've a friend who has taken that up as her
undergrad thesis this year. She is using an increment bore to take
samples from different tree species and putting this into some sort of
medium in a petri dish. I think that she is trying to isolate these
fungi to innoculate both standing timber and maybe even log decks, as
these fungi are known to attack decay organisms. I love forestry...
it blows my mind, the kinds of things that are going on in the forest!

If you could correct my terminology and assumptions for me Daniel,
that'd be great! G

Scott
Old 12-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Daniel B. Wheeler

(Scott Murphy) wrote in message . com...
Good point! I like "outside the box" forestry, especially when you
start to see it become "inside the box". Refresh my memory, because
its been awhile since my fungi and disease course,

I think that one statement says it all Scott. Dr. James Trappe calls
mycorrhizal fungi essential to healthy trees. He says it is easy to
find a tree in the Pacific Northwest without mycorrhizal fungi: "Look
for trees with no green." And yet even today in England, mycorrhizal
fungi inoculation of trees is considered an "infection."
but I recall
studying certain mycorrhizal fungi that acted as a go-between for
different tree species that are often associated with each other. I
think we were looking at white pine and birch; and we were tracing
radioactive isotopes through the mycorrhizal network between trees of
those two species. Kind of enforced the idea of managing for
ecological communities, not strictly stand (tree) types.

Since then some mycorrhizal fungi have also been shown to share
nutrients between Douglas-fir and Red alder. Nor is mycorrhizal
association always beneficial. Tricholoma magnivelare (matsutake) has
been recently shown to cause tree root death in some cases. And yet it
can also form beneficial mycorrhizae. Knowledge continues.

As for your prophylactics, I've a friend who has taken that up as her
undergrad thesis this year. She is using an increment bore to take
samples from different tree species and putting this into some sort of
medium in a petri dish. I think that she is trying to isolate these
fungi to innoculate both standing timber and maybe even log decks, as
these fungi are known to attack decay organisms. I love forestry...
it blows my mind, the kinds of things that are going on in the forest!

The problem with inoculating log decks is the logs are already dying
or dead. The mycorrhizal fungi that provide protection from root rots
are associated only with living trees. Still...any research into
mycorrhizal cultivation is likely going to be a positive thing (though
I don't hold much hope for mycorrhizal fungi cultivation with
non-living tissue). The most recent research strongly supports a
succession of mycorrhizal fungi with individual trees over time. But
there are darn few long-term mycological studies, and such must be
considered more anecdotal than convincing at this time.

I think you have a good founding in mycorrhizal fungi, Scott. What I'm
not sure you realize is that the field is changing so dramatically
rapidly that what you (and I) learned 10 years ago as Cantharellus
cibarius is now C. formosus; and Boletus chrysenteron is now Xercomus
chrysenteron. DNA analysis of fungi is dramatically affecting both the
variety and the systematics of the fungal world, and few people can
guess what new associations of fungi will turn up in the near future.

I'm just a simple tree grower who hopes to leave a few live trees
after I'm gone for a future generation to enjoy. When I was young,
trees 6 feet in diameter were commonplace in much of Oregon. Now they
are nearly extinct.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Scott Murphy

(Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message . com...
(Scott Murphy) wrote in message . com...
Good point! I like "outside the box" forestry, especially when you
start to see it become "inside the box". Refresh my memory, because
its been awhile since my fungi and disease course,

I think that one statement says it all Scott. Dr. James Trappe calls
mycorrhizal fungi essential to healthy trees. He says it is easy to
find a tree in the Pacific Northwest without mycorrhizal fungi: "Look
for trees with no green." And yet even today in England, mycorrhizal
fungi inoculation of trees is considered an "infection."

I thought the same thing as I typed out the course name. Before they
separated entomology and fire into distinct courses, it was simply
called "Pests and Fire". While fungi and disease were taught in the
same course (1/2 semester dedicated to each), it was never implied
that fungi were disease, although I'm sure that was the implication in
the early days of forestry. Attitudes can be hard things to change.

I think you have a good founding in mycorrhizal fungi, Scott. What I'm
not sure you realize is that the field is changing so dramatically
rapidly that what you (and I) learned 10 years ago as Cantharellus
cibarius is now C. formosus; and Boletus chrysenteron is now Xercomus
chrysenteron. DNA analysis of fungi is dramatically affecting both the
variety and the systematics of the fungal world, and few people can
guess what new associations of fungi will turn up in the near future.

As you imply, the foundation is the easy part, continuing education is
a big responsibility that I believe many foresters overlook. Our
professional associations have many ideas on how to keep us learning,
but the responsibility ultimately lies with the individual.

I'm just a simple tree grower who hopes to leave a few live trees
after I'm gone for a future generation to enjoy. When I was young,
trees 6 feet in diameter were commonplace in much of Oregon. Now they
are nearly extinct.

And beautiful trees they are! I was on a fire crew that was exported
from Alberta to the Biscuit Fire this summer. We spent 17 days
wandering through some pretty nice forest along the Chetco River.
Brookings and Gold Beach were home, sweet, home How far down the
road are you from there?

Old 13-11-2002, 01:40 AM
Scott Murphy

[...]

I checked in with her, and she said the fungi they are trying isolate
have been found in telephone poles across the country; this of course
would be in poles pre-dating pressure-treating or creosote. That
apparently is what piqued their interest in the application to log
decks. Having said that, she said her final goal is not log decks,
but the inoculation of seedlings before they are planted. So there
you go! g

Truffles? Al[_4_] United Kingdom 3 08-04-2009 10:24 AM
Truffles Zara Henderson United Kingdom 17 11-06-2004 09:35 AM
Truffles Sir Nigel Dandruff United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 06:08 PM
(LONG) 22 Years old, but still worth reading. (truffles) Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 3 16-11-2002 10:29 PM
27 Years Ago: Truffles in California Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 06-11-2002 10:16 AM