Old 23-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Alastair McDonald

Default Goofy Wyoming plan blocks wolf delisting

This has nothing to do with global warming. Please do not post this spam
there!

"Lion Kuntz" wrote in message
om...
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/new...on/425810.html

Goofy Wyoming plan blocks wolf delisting

With some 600 or 700 wolves now roaming through Montana, Idaho and
Wyoming, it's time to remove special protections from the animals.

Most everyone -- except for some hard-core environmentalists -- agrees
the numbers justify taking wolves off the Endangered Species list
here.

But that's not likely to happen soon, and we have our neighbors in
Wyoming to blame.

Officials there caved in to anti-wolf interest groups in designing the
state's wolf recovery plan. In a weird twist, however, that move
actually serves the interests of the conservationists who want to keep
the wolf protected.

What happens in Wyoming is important because federal wildlife
officials insist that Montana, Wyoming and Idaho all have acceptable
wolf management plans in place before protections are removed.

When they are approved, the federal government relinquishes control of
the animals to the states.

Idaho's plan is done. Montana's -- considered by many the strongest of
the three plans -- is nearly done.

Wyoming recently unveiled its proposal. Actually, it's not so much a
management plan as a slaughter plan.

Pushed hard by livestock interests, officials there want the wolf
designated as a trophy animal in a few parks and wilderness areas --
and designated a predator elsewhere.

That means it can be killed at will, just like a skunk or coyote.

Many ranchers love that idea. So do environmentalists, because they
know the federal government will never allow such a plan to be
implemented.

"My lawyer friends and I have been wondering how we can keep the
animal protected," David Gaillard, of the Predator Conservation
Alliance, said during a hearing in Wyoming.

As stockmen testified in favor of classifying the wolf a predator, so
did Gaillard. He said it would help his group's cause.

Strange bedfellows those ranchers and enviros.

Amusing as that aspect is, however, we're more concerned that without
a viable management plan from Wyoming, all three states in the region
are stuck with federal oversight.

Even Gov. Judy Martz expressed frustration with our southern neighbors
and vowed to lobby the state's new governor for a more reasonable
plan.

We hope she can convince Idaho's governor to do the same.

Even if all three states eventually submit acceptable plans, lawsuits
could drag the process on for years.

But without a decent plan from Wyoming, the clock's not even ticking.

It's obvious that wolves are no longer endangered in this region, so
there's no good reason to keep them on the Endangered Species list
here.

Montana and Idaho have done their part to delist the animals.

Now it's time for Wyoming to step up and submit a realistic wolf
management plan.

Old 25-11-2002, 03:01 AM
dstaples

Your post also has nothing to do with alt.forestry, so trim your own damn
headers.

--
DS
"Alastair McDonald" wrote in

Old 26-11-2002, 03:26 AM
JC

Don,
Take a look at the website of this cross-posting idiot. Notice any
physical resemblance to the Unibomber?
JC
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:54:58 -0600, "dstaples"
wrote:

Anthrax is part of the forest as well, may you become personally familiar
with this wild sort.

Meanwhile, dumb ****, trim your headers.

Goofy Posters Guv Bob[_2_] Gardening 3 09-08-2014 09:42 PM
Goofy Fertiliser Question Melanie United Kingdom 1 15-07-2004 06:13 PM
Goofy Fertiliser Question Melanie United Kingdom 3 14-07-2004 12:23 PM
2003 Agriculture Wolf Prize announced ÷øï ååìó sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Wolf Weed Extractor Aidan Whitehall United Kingdom 8 24-04-2003 10:56 PM