Old 22-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Bruce Richardson

Default Any modern Silviculture text to recommend?

I'm starting to buy textbooks and wonder if any of you think highly of any
particular text on Silviculture that would be stong on Upper Midwest
situations? Do textbooks of the ninety's have different understandings and
responces than texts of the 40's through 70's?

--
Bruce Richardson - W9FZ

"I Must Have Been Blind" This Mortal Coil

Old 22-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Jerry Mohlman

I would recommend Forest Dynamics and Disturbance Regimes by Lee E. Frelich.
It is not a silviculture text but rather a synthesis of his and others research
in how primary forests develop in the upper midwest. Understanding this concept
is important in doing superior silviculture. The book is expensive at $70 from
amazon but I feel it is worth it, except perhaps the chapter on study
methodologies.
I also like Forest Stand Dynamics by Oliver and Larson for the same reason.
This also is not a silviculture text but is about forest ecology. This book has
more of a western US slant but is applicable elsewhere.
I would recommend reading the above before reading a text on silviculture. I
think the much reprinted classics like Principles of Silviculture by Baker and
Practice of Silviculture by Smith are still used but now have different authors
and have been updated.
Jerry Mohlman