Old 21-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Swiss Needle Cast

I have spotted one young doug fir tree with the symptoms of Swiss Needle
Cast. All the needles have fallen off the tree except for the new
growth. Should I cut it down and get it out of there? Is is too late?
SNC has been a problem on the coast, but I haven't heard any reports of
it this far inland. What should I do?

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 23-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...
I have spotted one young doug fir tree with the symptoms of Swiss Needle
Cast. All the needles have fallen off the tree except for the new
growth. Should I cut it down and get it out of there? Is is too late?
SNC has been a problem on the coast, but I haven't heard any reports of
it this far inland. What should I do?

Paul Bishop reports that Swiss Needle Cast is common throughout the
Willamette Valley and Coast range in Oregon. In the Coast range the
disease is becoming much worse, especially in Lincoln and Lane
Counties.

If all the needles except new needles have already fallen off the
tree, I would cut the tree. Crowded trees are more likely to pass the
disease to other trees. Thinning stands is essential to preventing
widespread tree death due to Swiss Needle Cast.

Many trees are already infected with the disease. But relatively few
trees actually die of the disease. However, when a lot of needles fall
off the tree it is probably best for the health of nearby trees to cut
the infected trees.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Rhizosphaera Needle Cast on Blue Spruces Beth Pierce Gardening 0 25-10-2007 06:05 AM
cast iron plant Sammy' Gardening 0 09-01-2004 08:41 PM
pre cast stream in garden conor mc Gardening 2 09-01-2004 05:32 AM
Cast Iron Tecumseh 10 HP HH100 Magneto Rick Warner Lawns 2 21-12-2003 03:05 PM
Cast iron lawn roller Baz United Kingdom 2 30-09-2002 08:53 AM