Old 05-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Don Staples

Default Pine Tree Seedlings

You may purchase seedlings on line from the Texas Forest Service at College
Station. Here is the URL:
http://tfsstore.tamu.edu/onlinestore/

Or, you may try their nearest local office, which is in La Grange, I
believe.

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/abou...x.html#la_gran
ge

A copy of the reply.

There are some genetically improved seedlings that fit the Bastrop area,
more drought tolerant. Probably loblolly. But the turpentine market has
been dead for a number of years. Extraction from wood byproducts to easy
compared to the old fashioned method.

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
(Voltar) writes:
Pine trees grow 'wild' in my area (near Bastrop, Texas).

I want to plant a line of seedlings. The goal, of course, is to some

day
have a line of pine trees,

Can anyone point me to a web site or offer advise on planting pine

trees?
Where to get seedlings, anything...

I'll crosspost your question to alt.forestry. I think Don Staples is a
Texas forester, he can probably tell you where to buy seedlings and what
your options are. You have a choice of several different pine species to
plant. I think loblolly pine grows in your area, and that is the
turpentine pine. They tap the pine tree for the sap just like maples are
tapped for maple sugar. Then they distill turpentine out of the sap.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc