Old 06-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Rasmus D. Andersen

Default Help forestry student!

Hello!

I need some help translating a Danish word into English. The word describes
a kind of planting-technique we use to protect the new, small plants from
predators, drought and spring frost. In the same hole as you plant the
valuabel future tree species you put a less valuabel and more resistant
species, the "mantle" (e.g. picea or pinus!). The idea is that the resistant
species will grow up to cover the future species and hereby protect it from
the harsh condition on a bare land. Over time the future species will take
over and "outgrow" the mantle.
We call this method "mantle-planting" (direct translation) but i need to
know the right term in english/american or german if anyone knows!
If you got experience or know about litterature on the subject I would be
glad to here from you.

Yours Sincerely
Rasmus Dalhoff Andersen