Old 31-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Larry Harrell

Default McNally fire salvage was Extreme fire danger!

Larry Caldwell wrote in message nk.net...
(Larry Harrell) writes:
Tuesday, July 22, 2003 The Associated Press
Catastrophic fire danger in Southern California, experts warn
by DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

The danger of a catastrophic wildfire in 400,000 acres of beetle- and
drought-killed trees in mountain communities east of Los Angeles is so
severe firefighters are comparing the potential to the worst
firestorms in the nation's history.
One briefing paper circulating among Southern California fire
agencies, and obtained by The Associated Press, says fuel levels near
Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino National Forest are approaching
those of the Peshtigo firestorm that swept across Wisconsin on Oct. 8,
1871, killing more than 1,500 people.

Yep, all they need is a Santa Anna and a spark. They are lucky that
backyard swimming pools are so popular in SoCal. It will give people
someplace to sit while the world burns around them.

[...]

Comment by poster: This is your forest on bugs

My new assignment is to help salvage timber from the McNally fire in
the Sequoia National Forest. Finally, I get to work in my area of
expertise: Timber Sale Administration

I'm astonished. They are actually going to let you salvage? I'm not
sure I believe it. Let me know when they haul the first load out.

I've started working with a logger (a very good one who I have worked
with before) who is cutting roadside hazard trees within a green sale
partially burned last summer. A new roadside hazard tree project has
been awarded and will start sometime very soon. They're both very
small projects and the main salvage projects are still being prepared.
TEAMS is marking timber and I'll be working with them sometimes when
the sale administration duties are slow. A thunderstorm the other day
apparently blew out a new culvert on one of the main roads on the east
side of the fire.

Larry, fair and balanced sale administration