GardenBanter.co.uk

-   alt.forestry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/alt-forestry/)
-   -   time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/alt-forestry/43125-time-scale-plants-extract-deep-soil-moisture.html)

Gladiator 15-09-2003 11:10 PM

time scale for plants to extract deep soil moisture

Hi: I am not a botanist but I would like to know fast can plants
extract deep soil moisture ( 1 m).

Of course, this depends on solar radiation, temperature, relative
humidity, and wind speed of overlying atmosphere and the kinds of
plants (deep roots or shallow roots?) we are talking about.

I just need to know a rough number, say 1 day, several days, or weeks,
etc for deep root plants (root system 36 in) vs. shallow root plants
(root system about 18 in) .

Could someone point me to a journal, textbook or website?

Thanks a million. --- W