Old 16-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Donald L Ferrt

Default Federal 'roadless' policy officially ends

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...634379,00.html

Article Published: Tuesday, September 16, 2003
Federal 'roadless' policy officially ends
Forest Service chief: Decision changes little

By Steve Raabe
Denver Post Business Writer
The head of the U.S. Forest Service expects no immediate impact from a
government decision upholding a court ruling that lifted a ban on
road-building in a third of America's national forests.
The Justice Department's decision not to appeal U.S. District Judge
Clarence Brimmer's ruling on the so-called roadless policy was
welcomed Monday by industry groups and left environmentalists
grumbling.

The government let pass a Friday deadline for appealing Brimmer's
decision, which negated a ruling from the final days of the Clinton
administration that banned building of new roads on 58.5 million acres
of remote forest land controlled by the Forest Service.

The Clinton policy limited timber harvesting, mining and drilling for
oil and gas on the national forest lands.

In an interview Monday in Denver, Forest Service chief Dale Bosworth
said his agency still supports the idea of roadless areas and said the
decision not to appeal Brimmer's ruling will have no immediate impact
on national forests.

"It's not that much of an issue because we're not going to be going
out and building roads in roadless areas," Bosworth said. "I believe
we should be protecting roadless values."

But environmental groups said they're not convinced.

"They give lip service to protecting roadless areas but their actions,
particularly failing to defend (roadless policies) in court, speak
otherwise," said Tiernan Sittenfeld of Environment Colorado.

Brimmer, who is based in Cheyenne, ruled this year that the Clinton
road ban was a "thinly veiled attempt to designate 'wilderness areas'
in violation of the clear and unambiguous process established by the
Wilderness Act."

Environmental groups subsequently accused Brimmer of conflict of
interest because he owns stock in several oil and gas companies that
might benefit from easier access to drilling.

Brimmer has acknowledged in a statement that he owns energy stocks,
but said none of the companies are parties to his ruling.

Greg Schnacke of the Colorado Oil and Gas Association said Monday that
Brimmer's ruling was correct because the roadless policy was made
hastily and without adequate scientific or geologic information.

Several environmental groups, including the Wilderness Society, Sierra
Club and Wyoming Outdoor Council, have appealed the Brimmer ruling to
the Denver-based 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The court has not yet taken any action on the appeal.
Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Jamie

Yeah that's right! The HELL with that damn lame ass policy! I'm tierd
of these lame ass walk-in's just to spend 5 hours on a damn plot
because some damn lame ass ignorent poly-tick'er makeing stupid
decisions and not to mention some kiss-ass distrect rangers going as
far as to tearing up some main lines just to please those psudo
enviromentalests who no nothing of what's going on out in the woods
and never been off a damn lame ass nature trail and they are the ones
who never bury their crap (if you happen to see one out there crapping
just simply walk up to them and set them down in their pile).
Now, tomarrow I will drive my truck to my plot and drill them trees
and whip my tape and get them heights with glee! Because my roads have
been re-commissiond! YEPIE!
FIA/CVS Inventory Specialest.
Old 18-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Joe Zorzin

Could somebody translate Jamie's message into English that we can all
understand? G
--
Joe Zorzin
"What Liberal Media" by Erik Alterman

Old 18-09-2003, 05:42 PM
mhagen

Larry Caldwell wrote:
(Joe Zorzin) writes:

Could somebody translate Jamie's message into English that we can all
understand? G

I think he was pointing out that this change in policy means very little.
None of the roadless area have been zoned for timber production, and
without logging there will be no reason to build roads there. Maybe the
USFS will decide they need a road for fire fighting equipment, but maybe
not. In any case, it will be years before anything happens.

"Jamie" wrote in message
om...

Yeah that's right! The HELL with that damn lame ass policy! I'm tierd
of these lame ass walk-in's just to spend 5 hours on a damn plot
because some damn lame ass ignorent poly-tick'er makeing stupid
decisions and not to mention some kiss-ass distrect rangers going as
far as to tearing up some main lines just to please those psudo
enviromentalests who no nothing of what's going on out in the woods
and never been off a damn lame ass nature trail and they are the ones
who never bury their crap (if you happen to see one out there crapping
just simply walk up to them and set them down in their pile).
Now, tomarrow I will drive my truck to my plot and drill them trees
and whip my tape and get them heights with glee! Because my roads have
been re-commissiond! YEPIE!
FIA/CVS Inventory Specialest.

But, with the usual brilliance and foresight of the Circus, they've sent
out some poor timber tech to inventory the area after they've pulled the
roads, just to know what they don't have. But they might get it back
with a slight change of the political breeze. Been there myself.

Just to add insult to injury, the Feds never really figured out that
they can replace low level forest inventories with satellite info and a
good GIS operator.