Old 20-09-2003, 04:27 AM

Default World food supply

Fred Elbel wrote in message . ..
On 18 Sep 2003 09:22:02 -0700, wrote:

If you are referring to the US, population growth has already hit negatives.

I hate to see such blatant ignorance and disinformation proliferated
on Usenet.

U.S. fertility reached replacement level fertility (2.1 children per
woman) in 1972.

[snip]

This is unfortunately a serious problem because of high levels of U.S.
consumption. We're already drawing down our own resources, let alone
the resources of other countries.

But fortunately the problem can be easily remedied by reducing legal
immigration to replacement numbers and enforcing existing laws on
illegal migration.

Unfortunately, you took my misstatement and followed it with several
non-sequiturs clouding the issue even further. I intended to
reference the birth rate in the US, not population growth including
immigration which is largely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
World food stores are not going to be depleted because people move
from relatively impoverished to relatively wealthy nations. One would
also expect that as immigrants integrate into the US their birth rates
will drop as well, and whatever you claim about immigration, the US
birth rate is still at a 12 year low.

url:
http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2003pres/20030625.html

"U.S. BIRTH RATE REACHES RECORD LOW
Births to Teens Continue 12-Year Decline; Cesarean Deliveries Reach
All-Time High
The U.S. birth rate fell to the lowest level since national data have
been available, reports the latest Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) birth statistics released today by HHS Secretary
Tommy G. Thompson. Secretary Thompson also noted that the rate of teen
births fell to a new record low, continuing a decline that began in
1991.

The birth rate was 13.9 per 1,000 persons in 2002, a decline of 1
percent from the rate of 14.1 per 1,000 in 2001 and down 17 percent
from the recent peak in 1990 (16.7 per 1,000), according to a new CDC
report, "Births: Preliminary Data for 2002." The current low birth
rate primarily reflects the smaller proportion of women of
childbearing age in the U.S. population, as baby boomers age and
Americans are living longer."

Many more problems would be reduced by opening US borders to any any
healthy, non-criminal immigrant than trying to enforce some draconian
immigration laws. Bye, bye huddled masses. Hello, eco-police state.