GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cooking oil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/100805-cooking-oil.html)

Ian 01-08-2005 08:47 AM

Cooking oil

Does anyone know a good way to dispose of used cooking oil from the home
kitchen ?
Ian

Terry Collins 01-08-2005 02:30 PM

Ian wrote:
Does anyone know a good way to dispose of used cooking oil from the home
kitchen ?

This is oil and not fat?
Why not pour it over the compost heap?
Spread it round.

gardenlen 01-08-2005 07:56 PM

g'day ian,

fat or oil all mine ends up in the garden somewhere along the line.

if you can get enough of it make your own diesel fuel if you have a
diesel powered vehicle.

if you have any concerns spread it around don't put it all in the same
spot.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1

Rob & Shel 01-08-2005 10:55 PM

Your local council should be able to dispose of cooking oil for free if you
take it to their collection depot. Give 'em a call.

Rob

Chookie 02-08-2005 02:03 PM

In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

Does anyone know a good way to dispose of used cooking oil from the home
kitchen ?

I fill a tin with scrunched-up newsaper, pour the oil into it, and send it to
the tip. Sawdust would be better, but I don't have any.

Actually, since my husband went on the CSIRO diet, we haven't had any fat to
tip out! Reducing consumption is probably the healthiest and most
environmentally-friendly option.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Flying Echidna 04-08-2005 06:32 AM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:47:54 +1000, "Ian" wrote
in aus.gardens:

Does anyone know a good way to dispose of used cooking oil from the home
kitchen ?

The obvious way is to make white oil out of it. Filter it first.

Place a cup of domestic cooking oil in a blender, add one and a half
cups of water and a teaspoon of Sunlight Soap and blend.

Store in a tightly sealed jar. Dilute at the rate of one part of oil
to ten parts water.

Regards
Prickles