Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 AM
-db-

Default nikau palm in melbourne??

I have some seeds for the Nikau Palm (Rhopasoltylis sapida) which were
declared at quarintine, checked and allowed through. Just noticed that
on the back of the packet, it states "Please do not try to take these
seeds into Australia".

Does anybody know if they are likely to cause problems?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:11 AM
gardenlen

g'day,

i'm no expert but going by what i read it is the one most likely to do
well in your climate by the sounds of it hey?

if they went through quarantine then can't see any problems.

not a huge palm not sure about what may happen if their seeds get into
our habitat though.

anyhow that about it from me, you might have to keep us updated hey?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:27:06 GMT, -db-
wrote:

I have some seeds for the Nikau Palm (Rhopasoltylis sapida) which were
declared at quarintine, checked and allowed through. Just noticed that
on the back of the packet, it states "Please do not try to take these
seeds into Australia".

Does anybody know if they are likely to cause problems?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM
HC

G'day db

Why not give the quarantine people a call? or email? to make sure.
Would be terrible if there was a problem and it was traced back to you
at some time in the future?

;-))

Old 11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Paul Homes

In article ,
-db- wrote:

I have some seeds for the Nikau Palm (Rhopasoltylis sapida) which were
declared at quarintine, checked and allowed through. Just noticed that
on the back of the packet, it states "Please do not try to take these
seeds into Australia".

Does anybody know if they are likely to cause problems?

According to "Palms in Australia" by David Jones (first published 1984)
there are examples of the nikau palm growing in the Melbourne, Adelaide,
Sydney and Brisbane botanic gardens. So it is here in Oz already. I
can't imagine a botanic garden culturing a "problem plant".

Paul
Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 AM
-db-

gardenlen wrote:
g'day,

i'm no expert but going by what i read it is the one most likely to do
well in your climate by the sounds of it hey?

i think it might do too.

if they went through quarantine then can't see any problems.

they did spend a while ckecking the database. the one they had hassles
finding was the "yellow kowhai". one had grown at a place i lived in in
footscray (inner west melbourne)

not a huge palm not sure about what may happen if their seeds get into
our habitat though.

i still want to be sure i'm growing a "cane toad" before i proceed.

anyhow that about it from me, you might have to keep us updated hey?

no worries len. starting the seeds could be fun. have to keep them in
the fridge for a few weeks first.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 AM
-db-

HC wrote:
G'day db

Why not give the quarantine people a call? or email? to make sure. Would
be terrible if there was a problem and it was traced back to you at some
time in the future?

yep, couldn't agree more

Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 AM
-db-

Paul Homes wrote:
[edit]

According to "Palms in Australia" by David Jones (first published 1984)
there are examples of the nikau palm growing in the Melbourne, Adelaide,
Sydney and Brisbane botanic gardens. So it is here in Oz already. I
can't imagine a botanic garden culturing a "problem plant".

Paul

I've found mentions in Gardening Australia & Burkes Backyard factsheets.
I'm wondering if it is more to do with breeders rights than quarantine
issues.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
HC

Don't forget to let us know.......would be interesting to know the
reason behind that note.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 13-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Rhonda Anderson

-db- wrote in
:

HC wrote:
G'day db

Why not give the quarantine people a call? or email? to make sure.
Would be terrible if there was a problem and it was traced back to
you at some time in the future?

yep, couldn't agree more

Geeze, even when I'm at home checking out newsgroups I can't get away
from work! I work for AQIS (Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service),
currently within the International Mail Program. This is not official
advice, but just to let you know that the public is able to access our
import conditions database at our website - www.aqis.gov.au.
The import conditions database is called ICON (you'll see a link to it on
the right side of the page, under the heading Resources).

If you're looking to import seeds, you can search on botanical name and
if there are import conditions set for it you'll find them there. One tip
- always search on genus only, not whole botanical name. For some genera,
there is one case for the whole genus, so you won't find a species name
listed. For others there will be a case titled XXX spp. (other than xxx).

If the seed you want isn't listed, that usually means that it hasn't been
assessed, and if you really want to try to import it you'd need to
contact us about lodging plant introduction forms.

The original post referred to Rhopasoltylis. There's nothing on ICON for
that, but there is a case for Rhopalostylis spp. Looks like typical palm
seed conditions - fleshy pericarp has to have been removed. Check it out
for yourself.

Cheers,
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Old 14-08-2005, 01:22 PM
-db-

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
-db- wrote in
:

[edit]

Geeze, even when I'm at home checking out newsgroups I can't get away
from work! I work for AQIS (Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service),
currently within the International Mail Program. This is not official
advice, but just to let you know that the public is able to access our
import conditions database at our website - www.aqis.gov.au.
The import conditions database is called ICON (you'll see a link to it on
the right side of the page, under the heading Resources).

Thanks Rhonda. I did find ICON

If you're looking to import seeds, you can search on botanical name and
if there are import conditions set for it you'll find them there. One tip
- always search on genus only, not whole botanical name. For some genera,
there is one case for the whole genus, so you won't find a species name
listed. For others there will be a case titled XXX spp. (other than xxx).

If the seed you want isn't listed, that usually means that it hasn't been
assessed, and if you really want to try to import it you'd need to
contact us about lodging plant introduction forms.

The original post referred to Rhopasoltylis. There's nothing on ICON for
that, but there is a case for Rhopalostylis spp. Looks like typical palm
seed conditions - fleshy pericarp has to have been removed. Check it out
for yourself.

Yep, Rhopalostylis is the one. Couldn't find it at first. Then I spelt
it properly :O I still couldn't find it - not until I heeded your
advice and searched for genus only; then bingo. The seeds are sealed in
foil in a packet (standard garden seed) so it appears to meet the
requirements. The packet was declared and checked by quarantine at
Melbourne Airport and allowed passed through. I gather it's not deemed
to be another cane toad but I am still curious as to why the back of the
packet states, "Please do not try to take these seeds into Australia".
I suspect it is more to to do with breeders rights rather than
quarantine. I did check the Plant Breeders Rights database but nothing
listed under Rhopalostylis
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/pbr_database/search.cfm

Old 14-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Rhonda Anderson

-db- wrote in
:

I gather
it's not deemed to be another cane toad but I am still curious as to
why the back of the packet states, "Please do not try to take these
seeds into Australia". I suspect it is more to to do with breeders
rights rather than quarantine. I did check the Plant Breeders Rights
database but nothing listed under Rhopalostylis
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/pbr_database/search.cfm

It could also just be an overcompensation by the seed company - perhaps the
company has had feedback from customers who've had seed seized, and have
just provided a general warning on all packets rather than check the
details for each species of seed. Some people mistakenly think that no seed
at all can be brought into the country, perhaps this company also thinks
that.

It was good to see your concern over the quarantine conditions for the
seed.Hope you're successful in growing your plants.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia