Old 14-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Michael Corby

Default pruning weeping mulberry? Help!

I realise now's the time to do it, but I'm anxious to do it properly so that
I don't ruin the shape. My husband is keen on a Texas Chainsaw Massacre,
but I don't feel that is wise.

It's a mature plant - we've lived here for 8 years and it was mature when we
bought the house. It's huge and occupies most of our pocket handkerchief
backgarden! We've got the prunings collection on Monday, so I'd be glad of
your advice today!

Many thanks,Mike,
Perth.

Old 14-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Terry Collins

Michael Corby wrote:
I realise now's the time to do it, but I'm anxious to do it properly so that
I don't ruin the shape. My husband is keen on a Texas Chainsaw Massacre,
but I don't feel that is wise.

It's a mature plant - we've lived here for 8 years and it was mature when we
bought the house. It's huge and occupies most of our pocket handkerchief
backgarden! We've got the prunings collection on Monday, so I'd be glad of
your advice today!

Why do you want to prune it?

Old 14-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Michael Corby

It's grown into a funny shape. It's not weeping neatly all around, instead
there is a big weeping section added on, coming out of the top, like a big
green tumor. And it's much too big for the lawn. I preferred it when it
was smaller - in *diameter*.
Mike

Old 14-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

I have never received any instructions of pruning a mulberry tree, but the
basic rules on all fruit trees a Get rid of all dead wood. Get rid of
branches growing towards the center of the tree. Get rid of any branches
that are growing toward another more important branch to keep them from
rubbing on each other later. Get rid of branches growing straight up. Get
rid of branches growing down.

In addition to these, I stand back and look at the tree and see how it is
shaped. I then prune to shape it the way I want it to look in 10 years.
You aren't supposed to remove more than 1/3 rd of the tree in one pruning.
To shape the tree, look at the branch you are wanting to prune off, and cut
it just above a bud that is pointing the direction you want the tree to
grow. Make all your cuts on a 45 degree angle, so the water will run off
rather than stand on the fresh wound.

Dwayne

eenews.net...

Old 25-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Michael Corby

I've already done it now. My husband took the chainsaw massacre approach
and now it looks like a trunk with a small cluster of old branches at the
top. Now lets pray for green fronds that come down to the ground. :-)
Mike.

Old 16-09-2005, 10:55 PM
A&G&K&H

"Michael Corby" wrote in message
eenews.net...

I've already done it now. My husband took the chainsaw massacre approach
and now it looks like a trunk with a small cluster of old branches at the
top. Now lets pray for green fronds that come down to the ground. :-)
Mike.

If its the mulberry I'm thinking of (sorry if I'm ignorant), we've always
hacked the thing back brutally after the leaves have fallen off.
Dad has kept his tree alive for the last 40 plus years by doing this every
winter and each year the spring growth is amazing.

HTH
Amanda