Old 01-09-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Dog problem

Looking for any Dr Harry here, or tips about dogs.

I've had a new neighbour moved in next door, and they have a guard dog
looking like a rottweiler.

The problem is that the damn thing runs up the fence and barks at me
everytime I enter my gardens. He does the same thing to anyone that
moves actually. He barks at people 2 houses down, if he sees them!

The neighbours are nice enough and tell it to shut up, but they are
often out of the house.

Is it likely that the dog will cease once he get used to me or do I
have to make an effort to get to know the dog, ie, throw it some food
or something.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Chookie

In article .com,
" wrote:

The problem is that the damn thing runs up the fence and barks at me
everytime I enter my gardens. He does the same thing to anyone that
moves actually. He barks at people 2 houses down, if he sees them!

The neighbours are nice enough and tell it to shut up, but they are
often out of the house.

Is it likely that the dog will cease once he get used to me or do I
have to make an effort to get to know the dog, ie, throw it some food
or something.

I'd just ignore it. You could try, ahem, marking your territory, but I am not
sure if it would work.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:03 AM
The Lady Gardener

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for any Dr Harry here, or tips about dogs.

The problem is that the damn thing runs up the fence and barks at me
everytime I enter my gardens. He does the same thing to anyone that
moves actually. He barks at people 2 houses down, if he sees them!

Try and get to know both your neighbours and their dog, then you will have a
look out on both properties!

In all seriousness - dog will get used to you, and you'll get used to him,
but the process will be much faster if you get to know each other and he
knows you are not going to "invade" his territory for malicious means.

My last dog (sadly gone for over a year, and still missed dreadfully) knew
everyone in the street, and had very distinct barks for good and evil which
a dog's instinct is very clever at discerning.

Joanne

Old 01-09-2005, 11:05 AM
The Lady Gardener

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

The problem is that the damn thing runs up the fence and barks at me
everytime I enter my gardens. He does the same thing to anyone that
moves actually. He barks at people 2 houses down, if he sees them!

I'd just ignore it. You could try, ahem, marking your territory, but I am
not
sure if it would work.

Save it for the citrus - dogs just lick it up with glee! eoowww enough to
turn you stomach really!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Basil Chupin

Looking for any Dr Harry here, or tips about dogs.

I've had a new neighbour moved in next door, and they have a guard dog
looking like a rottweiler.

The problem is that the damn thing runs up the fence and barks at me
everytime I enter my gardens. He does the same thing to anyone that
moves actually. He barks at people 2 houses down, if he sees them!

The neighbours are nice enough and tell it to shut up, but they are
often out of the house.

Is it likely that the dog will cease once he get used to me or do I
have to make an effort to get to know the dog, ie, throw it some food
or something.

Thanks for any advice.

What you need to do is to train the dog to behave by punishing bad
behaviour on its part. Do what dog trainers do with problem dogs (and
charge you lots of $$$).

Go to the hardware shop and get about a foot/300mm length of iron chain
- the links are ~1"/25mm long and are galvanized. Get a couple of
lenghts, it's cheap.

Now, every time the dog runs up and down the fence barking, chuck the
length of chain against the fence about where the dog is. The chain
hitting the fence makes a loud "ringing"/clanging noise (you'll know
what I mean the first time you do it) and this gets the attention of the
dog as well as frightens it. As you throw the chain yell out, "Quiet!"
or, as trainers usually say when training dogs, "NO!". You will find
that in no time at all the thing will stop barking.

If your neighbour complains then you have a choice of either having a
fight with him/her, explaining what you are trying to do, or telling
him/her that you have full right to chuck whatever you want at your side
of the fence (bearing in mind that you and your neighbour are 1/2-owners
of the fence and it is only your side that you are punishing with the
chain).

BTW, if you travel with a dog in your car and it barks at every car
passing by or other dogs it sees out of the window, carry a basin (a
metal basin, washbasin) and drop the chain (with a bit of force) and
say, "NO!" everytime the dog carries on - and this will stop the dog
from misbehaving. This approach can also be used if your fence is one of
those at which you are not able to chuck a chain and if so place a few
metal buckets stragetically along the fence.

By using the chain approach either the dog will give up it's barking
very very quickly or the neighbour will get the message and keep the
bloody thing inside so as not to hear the chain hitting the fence.

(If you think that this is a bit of a leg pulling on my part, I trained
our dog, who was a stray, from barking this way and even now, some 7
years after the training, a simple gentle jingle of the chain (which now
normally sits in one of my desk drawers as a momento) makes him prick
his ears up. The chain has a very distinctive "ring" when handled and
totally different to, say, bunch of keys which he recognises as me about
to go to the garage and follows me out.)

Cheers.

--
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 PM
SG1

"The Lady Gardener" wrote in message

Snipped
In all seriousness - dog will get used to you, and you'll get used to him,
but the process will be much faster if you get to know each other and he
knows you are not going to "invade" his territory for malicious means.

Snipped
Joanne

The damn retarded dog next door still barks at me after 5 1/2 years. But is
renowned by all that know it as one of the town's most stupid animals. I
have ignored it but it won't go away, and as it is not a cat I won't feed
it.

Jim

Old 01-09-2005, 11:05 PM

Basil Chupin wrote:

Now, every time the dog runs up and down the fence barking, chuck the
length of chain against the fence about where the dog is. The chain
hitting the fence makes a loud "ringing"/clanging noise (you'll know
what I mean the first time you do it) and this gets the attention of the
dog as well as frightens it. As you throw the chain yell out, "Quiet!"
or, as trainers usually say when training dogs, "NO!". You will find

I'm a very peaceful person

I don't think chucking chains at the fence at the neighbour's dogs
would help our relations.

As an alternative, is there some sort of dog whistle which can be used?
Something which a person might not hear, but would get the attention of
the dog enough to 'punish' it for barking?

Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM

SG1 wrote:

The damn retarded dog next door still barks at me after 5 1/2 years. But is
renowned by all that know it as one of the town's most stupid animals. I
have ignored it but it won't go away, and as it is not a cat I won't feed
it.

I don't mind of the dog yaps at me, but this thing is mean. His bark is
loud & piercing and constant. He runs and jumps at the fence. When I
approach the fence and leans over, he backs off, annd when I turn my
back, he lunges at the fence again.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:10 PM

The Lady Gardener wrote:

I'd just ignore it. You could try, ahem, marking your territory, but I am
not
sure if it would work.

My garden is too open for any marking of the territory, and
unfortunately, it's hard to ignore it when it's barking loudly and
occasionaly lunges at the fence.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Trish Brown

Basil Chupin wrote:

[...]

Basil, I stopped our dog from barking (and howling at the moon and
whining at the back door) by using your method with one small
modification. Instead of using a loud chain, I used a water cannon!
(Well, not really... 'water cannon' sounded good, but it was actually
one of those far-reaching water guns they sell to kids in toyshops). I
started with your basic squishy-bottle, but that soon ran out of range
as the blessed dog began racing up the back yard in her efforts to avoid
it. No, the water gun was the way to go. Within three days, I only had
to pick it up and she would stop barking. Within a week, calling out
'No' from the kitchen shut her up. Within a fortnight, she had
completely stopped barking!

Khangu, all you do is squirt the dog full in the face as it barks. Say
'No' in a firm, commanding tone (do not shout: you'll find yourself
shouting more and more loudly and will ultimately lose your voice and
still have a barking dog...). The idea is to associate the word 'No'
with the squirt and the cessation of barking. Dogs are really bright and
Rottweilers are among the brightest, so this one ought to respond fairly
quickly.

(NB. The garden hose won't work because it takes too long to go out,
pick it up and turn the tap on. You need the instantaneous satisfaction
of a water gun that you can keep handy by the back door.)

It might be a kindness to discuss with your neighbours what you plan to
do. I wouldn't take kindly to anyone assaulting my Alice without my
say-so! If the neighbours express a desire for you *not* to discipline
their dog, then you have every right to get exactly the whistle you
describe. Or, perhaps a loud hooter which is even *more* annoying to the
neighbours than their dog's barking is to you. I don't think hurting the
dog is the best way to go. 'tsnot the dog's fault it annoys you - it's
just being a dog.

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia

Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Trish Brown wrote:

It might be a kindness to discuss with your neighbours what you plan to
do. I wouldn't take kindly to anyone assaulting my Alice without my
say-so! If the neighbours express a desire for you *not* to discipline
their dog, then you have every right to get exactly the whistle you
describe. Or, perhaps a loud hooter which is even *more* annoying to the
neighbours than their dog's barking is to you. I don't think hurting the
dog is the best way to go. 'tsnot the dog's fault it annoys you - it's
just being a dog.

That may be the way to go, as he races up to the fence all the time.

My neighbours are alright. They're just out most of the time, so can't
control their dogs when I need them to.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Barbara

Trish Brown wrote:
Basil, I stopped our dog from barking (and howling at the moon and
whining at the back door) by using your method with one small
modification. Instead of using a loud chain, I used a water cannon!
(Well, not really... 'water cannon' sounded good, but it was actually
one of those far-reaching water guns they sell to kids in toyshops). I
started with your basic squishy-bottle, but that soon ran out of range
as the blessed dog began racing up the back yard in her efforts to
avoid it. No, the water gun was the way to go. Within three days, I
only had to pick it up and she would stop barking. Within a week,
calling out 'No' from the kitchen shut her up. Within a fortnight,
she had completely stopped barking!

snip

For what it is worth I also use the same method (large water gun) to train
my cats to stay out of my bird feeding area. However I tried to keep them
from seeing it was me holding the water gun, so they didn't associate the
water with me.
The 2 older ones never even blink if they see a bird now, though Pebbles and
Bam-Bam still like to sit and stare at the feeding area, thinking deep
kitten thoughts. :-)
Now if only the same thing would work on the pea brained scrub turkeys...

Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Basil Chupin

Trish Brown wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

[...]

SORRY! this is a NO-NO. You do NOT squirt the dog with water or do
anything which actually touches the dog! Doing so is called ASSAULT and
you may end up spending heaps of $$$ on legals.

Do what you want to do with your own animal(s), but do NOT touch anyone
else's animal in any way.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Basil Chupin

Basil Chupin wrote:

Now, every time the dog runs up and down the fence barking, chuck the
length of chain against the fence about where the dog is. The chain
hitting the fence makes a loud "ringing"/clanging noise (you'll know
what I mean the first time you do it) and this gets the attention of the
dog as well as frightens it. As you throw the chain yell out, "Quiet!"
or, as trainers usually say when training dogs, "NO!". You will find

I'm a very peaceful person

Eh, then suffer the "slings and arrows of" a barking dog.

Sometimes one needs to be "cruel" to be kind- and doing what I suggested
is not cruelty.

I don't think chucking chains at the fence at the neighbour's dogs
would help our relations.

In another message you state that the neighbour is more away than at
home so training the dog to stop barking wouldn't be difficult, would it?

As an alternative, is there some sort of dog whistle which can be used?
Something which a person might not hear, but would get the attention of
the dog enough to 'punish' it for barking?

A dog whistle is a dog whistle and you can pick one up any pet shop. But
what good is a whistle in this situation? The dog barks, you blow the
whistle, the dog stops for a second or two thene starts to bark, you
blow the whistle, the dog stops for a second or so and then realises
that everytime it barks he hears a whistle which is rather pleasant so
starts to bark even more just to be able to hear more of the whistle.

But if it is a whistle you want then the nearest pet shop will part with
one for around $15 I think.

Cheers.

--
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Trish Brown

Basil Chupin wrote:

SORRY! this is a NO-NO. You do NOT squirt the dog with water or do
anything which actually touches the dog! Doing so is called ASSAULT and
you may end up spending heaps of $$$ on legals.

Do what you want to do with your own animal(s), but do NOT touch anyone
else's animal in any way.

Yipes! Didn't think of that! You're right, of course! Although, it does
seem less cruel to the dog to give it a faceful of water rather than
horrifying it with noise from a chain on a fence...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia