Old 08-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Aprill Allen

Default Citrus

I bought 3 citrus trees today, from ALDI for $15ea. I was planning on
planting a row of hedges along a fence line. How far apart should I be
planting them? Close as possible without being detrimental to their health.

Thanks!
...aprill

Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
gardenlen

g'day april,

we planted ours 2.5 meters apart but 3 would be ok as well.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Aprill Allen" wrote in message
I bought 3 citrus trees today, from ALDI for $15ea. I was planning on
planting a row of hedges along a fence line. How far apart should I be
planting them? Close as possible without being detrimental to their

health.

Thanks!
..aprill

To grow to their best size plant them at about 4 m but if you wouldn't mind
them to be slightly stunted by root competion say 2.5m to 3 m. At the
closer spacing they will still look good and bear well if you feed and water
them well.

David

Old 16-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Aprill Allen wrote:

I bought 3 citrus trees today, from ALDI for $15ea. I was planning on
planting a row of hedges along a fence line. How far apart should I be
planting them? Close as possible without being detrimental to their health.

You won't get much of a hedge from citrus unless you are talking about bush
lemons. Citrus are generally trees, rather than shrubs. Do you want privacy,
a windbreak or what?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 16-09-2005, 10:17 AM
meee

Chookie wrote in message
In article ,
Aprill Allen wrote:

I bought 3 citrus trees today, from ALDI for $15ea. I was planning on
planting a row of hedges along a fence line. How far apart should I be
planting them? Close as possible without being detrimental to their

health.

You won't get much of a hedge from citrus unless you are talking about

bush
lemons. Citrus are generally trees, rather than shrubs. Do you want

privacy,
a windbreak or what?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

While we're on a citrus topic...I have a mystery tree in the backyard. It
appears to be citrus like, has fragrant lemony smelling leaves, 2in thorns
at the base of each petiole, and very small light green/yellow flowers. I'm
not sure if they are flowers, as they are so small, but I think so. The
leaves are largeish and shiny, bright green. I had to prune off all the
thorns as they are very hard and dangerous. Does anyone have any clue what
this might be?? thanks

Old 16-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Terry Collins

meee wrote:

While we're on a citrus topic...I have a mystery tree in the backyard.

Sounds like a bush lemon, well that is what I call it..
Basically, all the root stock of citrus trees sold are bush lemons with
the top being a graft of the desired citrus. Add a few different types
of graft and you have a citrus fruit salad.

They use the bush lemon as it is the best root stock, so either cut it
off and graft something else to it, or cut it out, unless you want to
grow it as a shelter tree for small birds,

Old 18-09-2005, 07:12 AM
meee

Terry Collins wrote in message

meee wrote:

While we're on a citrus topic...I have a mystery tree in the backyard.

Sounds like a bush lemon, well that is what I call it..
Basically, all the root stock of citrus trees sold are bush lemons with
the top being a graft of the desired citrus. Add a few different types
of graft and you have a citrus fruit salad.

They use the bush lemon as it is the best root stock, so either cut it
off and graft something else to it, or cut it out, unless you want to
grow it as a shelter tree for small birds,

Thanks for that! We rent this place, so it's probably not much use doing
anything to it. I was hoping to get some fruit from it though Oh well.

Old 20-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Terry Collins

meee wrote:

Thanks for that! We rent this place, so it's probably not much use doing
anything to it. I was hoping to get some fruit from it though Oh well.

Err, gee, it wouldn't hurt if you did. Those spines must be rather
dangerous. {:-).

Old 21-09-2005, 11:32 AM
meee

meee wrote:

Thanks for that! We rent this place, so it's probably not much use doing
anything to it. I was hoping to get some fruit from it though Oh

well.

Err, gee, it wouldn't hurt if you did. Those spines must be rather
dangerous. {:-).

yeah i sat there for about half an hour cutting off all the spines in case
the kids or dogs put an eye out...it's only a small tree, but the spines are
about 5cm long, very hard and very sharp, all the way up the trunk and
branches....gave me shivers just looking at them!!

Old 25-09-2005, 01:27 AM
John Savage

Terry Collins writes:
Sounds like a bush lemon, well that is what I call it..
Basically, all the root stock of citrus trees sold are bush lemons with
the top being a graft of the desired citrus. Add a few different types
of graft and you have a citrus fruit salad.

They use the bush lemon as it is the best root stock, so either cut it
off and graft something else to it, or cut it out, unless you want to
grow it as a shelter tree for small birds,

Or fertilise, add manure and keep watered and you may be rewarded with a
crop of deliciously sweet fruit. It is a bit of a lottery, but some bush
lemons are good bearers. I grew some lemons from seed, the trees were
very good bearers, fruit were the conventional Lisbon shape and very juicy,
but the thorns made it mandatory that I use a hook on a stick for
harvesting hard to reach fruit. I'd be hesitant to do a mass snipping off
of many thorns as this probably opens up a lot of points for disease to
take hold.

Old 25-09-2005, 12:00 PM
meee

John Savage wrote in message
om...
Terry Collins writes:
[...]

That's a good tip; I'll give it a try.My husband says he remembers lemon
trees being thorny, so maybe it might bear for me!! I had to cut the thorns
off, unfortunately, as it's only a small tree and my boys play around near
it. The thorns were just too long and i had no way of fencing it off. I will
just keep a close eye on it, and prune off and seal any diseased looking
bits. No-one around us has citrus trees, so hopefully it should be ok.
Thanks for the advice!!

Old 26-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Aprill Allen

On 16/9/05 7:21 PM, in article , "Aprill
Allen" wrote:

You won't get much of a hedge from citrus unless you are talking about bush
lemons. Citrus are generally trees, rather than shrubs. Do you want
privacy,
a windbreak or what?

Yeh, I didn't actually mean to say hedges.LOL .. But it will, I hope, be a
bit of a windbreak though I'm not sure how they'll survive the wind while
they establish.

..aprill

I've decided to move my citrus. They are not coping with the heavy winds we
get here. So to the east of the house they go.. And I will replace them with
Lilly Pilly which I will plant nice and closed to become hedgy and break up
the wind.

...aprill

Old 29-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Aprill Allen wrote:

I've decided to move my citrus. They are not coping with the heavy winds we
get here. So to the east of the house they go.. And I will replace them with
Lilly Pilly which I will plant nice and closed to become hedgy and break up
the wind.

Might be an idea to have a few different plants there. Lilly pillies are
rainforest plants, and may not relish wind either. Try coast rosemary
(westringia) and wattles to nursemaid them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
citrus help Tazman Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Container citrus: lot's fruit, not many leaves richard holmes Gardening 0 11-03-2003 11:56 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM